Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry about the topic, but how much poop is normal for a puppy?

Nana gets fed twice a day- her poop schedule was usually twice after each meal, and then it became once in the morning, twice after breakfast, and once or twice after dinner.

Yesterday, though, she pooped twice in the morning (5 and 9 AM respectively), two or three times after breakfast, and twice after dinner. She's never pooped so much before!

Today, she pooped twice this morning... within an hour, if not less, of each other. I took her out when she first woke up at 7:30, and she immediately pooped, and a little after I brought her in, she whined and I took her out. Immediately, she pooped again. I'm a little worried, because this change seems so sudden. She has been eating a lot more lately- in the first week, she didn't seem very interested in her food and would only finish half of it, despite having wet food and yogurt mixed into it. She'd pick at her food and just ignore it after a couple of bites. I'd have to repeatedly offer it to her in order to get her to eat, and she'd ignore my attempts after a while. I transitioned her to completely dry food and now she actually eats it all- a cup a meal. She's been eating her whole meal for the past five days or so, though, and the frequent pooping didn't start til yesterday. She is currently on her 4th day accident free in the house, so I assume she still has control.

Nana did come home from the breeder's with coccidia and giardia, and she finished her medication for both. The vet advised me to wait a while before doing a stool sample to check if its come back, and so we're in that waiting stage, still.

How much is normal? Why is she pooping so much? It's not even small little things... both poops this morning were large. They're still soft- they vary from being just hard enough to pick up without a smear to being only firm enough to have a form.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
At that age Molly pooped 4-5 times a day. She ate 3 small meals a day. Generally if they eat 2 times a day they will poop 3 times, 3 meals a day means 4 poops. She eats 2 meals a day now and poops 2-3 times a day. She always poops in the morning and after breakfast, but will not always go after dinner.

Unfortunately I don't have experience with so much poop in one day lol. I have noticed a change in frequency and size when I started feeding a certain kind of treats (it's actually dog food and not technically a treat). I think it's the fillers and maybe the extra fiber in the food that causes her to have larger and more frequent poops. From what I have read, that food IS full of fillers, but it's OK to use as treats.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts