Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tucker is 6 months now and Iv been running him up and down moderate hills for 3-4 miles every couple days. He seems to love every minute of it. Im just concerned that to much exercise may be detrimental to his bones and joints while he's still growing. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
he's a handsome guy!
no advice, just wanted to say hi and welcome to the forum!

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Welcome. Tucker is a handsome boy. The mileage is fine for a boy his age but you should try to keep him off hard pavement to the extent possible for another few months. He can run to his hearts content on grass.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Do you run him on a leash or let him run free? And is he only running on grass or concrete? My vet and several breeder friends have said that you shouldn't run on pavement on a leash (which means the dog has to run at your pace, not his) until they are 12-18 months and their joints close. But if he is running at his own pace, off leash and on grass, I think you are okay. Watch for signs of limping - that's a sure sign you should back off. And make sure you are giving enough water with all that activity.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We run on trails and forest service roads... so mostly dirt. The trails we usually run on are far removed from traffic, buildings and other potential hazards and distractions so having him off leash is great for both of us.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
As long as it isnt concrete it should be ok. Just watch him to make sure he doesnt get too tired out. Sometimes these little guys dont know when to say when. Tuck is a real handsome little guy.

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
Tucker is one cute puppy!!!! What a lucky guy to get all that exercise, I bet he loves it. As the above posters said, as long as it is at his own pace and not on hard surfaces he should be ok!

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
I take Bailey on 3-4 mile walks and I can't keep up with her. Walking nicely on a leash has been difficult for me to teach her.lol I walk her on the dirt road and she loves it and goes nuts with the zoomies the entire time.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great, I suppose we're doing fine then. Of course the leash is another concern of mine, I rarely have him on it. He has a great big yard to run around in with two other dogs, one a golden. Whenever I take him on a hike, walk or run, its remote enough to where I can let him (and the other dogs) do their thing, chase each other and enjoy themselves. However, I was running errands the other day and I usually bring him along for the ride. He came into a sporting goods store with me on the leash and was incredibly good... walked by my side the whole time and layed down when ever I was looking at something. Perhaps hes being good now to compensate for months of mischief to come. haha!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts