Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's my question for today.:confused:

How much barking is too much??? Fergus is now 6.5 months old and a great puppy, however, he seems to bark/growl quite a bit..he barks at the wind, rustling leaves, the gas oven when it expands from the heat..he will sit on the back deck and bark at people walking up the street and we live about 200 ft from the road, and the other night he even ran out the driveway barking at the walkers, but turned hastily around when he saw they had a dog with them..he doesn't have any confidence in himself yet. He even barks at my husband when he is outside in the yard and he is inside with me as well as people on TV.

Is this normal???? I ask this because our other golden, is soooo quiet, and always has been...if he barks it is warranted, he never barked much as a puppy and doesn't now. I'm just wondering is this an aggressive streak in the puppy or is he just checking out his "voice" and trying to protect us.

I love the fact that goldens are not huge barkers, but this little guy is really breaking the rules..:doh:

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
My concern would be that he doesn't have confidence and that is why he's barking. You might want to look into playing the Look at That game that I posted about in the training section.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
We've got the exact same problem at the exact same age here. I have had a headache for a good two weeks now. I'm off to find the training game now. I wish I had advice but sadly all I can do is sympathize :)

·
78 Posts
with my dog when he barks too much he does it for attention, so I immediately ignore him when he barks for something or for attention. For example when he barks when I am in the backyard with him because he just feels like barking, I walk away from him. Also if he barks for me to throw the ball i turn my back to him and walk away as well. He realizes that barking doesnt get him the response he wants. Maybe you could also try by praising him a lot a lot when he doesnt bark at you opening the oven for example. Keep opening the door and if he finally doesnt bark praise him and give him lots of treats. he will soon learn that he is rewarded for not barking and that barking gets him nowhere!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, I will check out the Look at That game in the training section..thanks!!

He doesn't seem to bark when he is out walking on leash with us and we pass by someone, it is just when he is in the yard, I tell him "no bark" and then praise him which seems to work at times. I just don't want him to be a "yapper"..LOL.

·
Registered
639 Posts
It does sound like an anxiety thing. Ozzy is not a big barker but does bark when he's frustrated or when he's scared. If we are out in the yard and night and something spooks him he'll bark like crazy.

For the frustrated barks we are working on teaching him the "enough" command. Basically we are just trying to get him to settle down and stop barking before he gets attention. Usually when he barks he's frustrated because he wants our attention.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts