Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My girlfriend and I have been researching and finding the perfect pup, and have been doing so for quite some time. Not sure what is average price, but we think we've found the one, the only kicker is she is $2500. I'm all for being more about the perfect pup than worrying about price.

But when should you start concerning yourself with price?(obviously, making sure the dog is affordable is very front and center)

Side note: This will be a family dog to a high-energy family that plays outside a lot.

·
Premium Member
18,094 Posts
Your first and primary concern should be finding a breeder who does all the health certifications, and worry about price after you find that breeder. But depending on where you are looking prices $2000-$3000 are typical and not more than expected.

·
Kristy
9,389 Posts
I strongly encourage you to have someone here help you verify health clearances. The pricepoint you've found is reasonable for breeders who do full health clearances on parents and you should expect them on multiple generations, in addition the breeder should also be competing with their dogs in some venue of dog sports and/or conformation shows. If the breeder you've found doesn't check these boxes at a MINIMUM then you're paying too much. Check through other threads on the 'finding a breeder' board to learn from their questions. Also www.grca.org has SO much information, the more you learn the less likely you will be taken advantage of by a less than ethical breeder.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Not sure what is average price, but we think we've found the one, the only kicker is she is $2500. I'm all for being more about the perfect pup than worrying about price.

But when should you start concerning yourself with price?(obviously, making sure the dog is affordable is very front and center)
When should you start concerning yourself with price? When you decide you want "X", but before you start looking. Once you have found "X" and decided "that's what I really want", it's a bit more difficult to be objective about "price".

"Not sure what is average price..." is a bit disconcerting. "Average price" for what? A show-quality golden with a pedigree full of champions? A field-grade retriever that is going to be used as a gun dog? A pet, that is going to be spayed/neutered and never competed in a show ring? And, "where"? While there seems to be a "bottom" for the pricing on well-bred (as defined by adherence to the GRCA Code of Ethics for breeding) puppies. Beyond that, the prices seem somewhat specific to locales, and "price" may vary by up to 150%-200% between locales.

I am new to this forum, and the golden community in general. But, that also means I just recently went through the same process you are going through now. Step #1 was sticker shock at the price of goldens. Step #2 was concern when I discovered what efforts needed to be made for a "well-bred" puppy. But, only after Steps #1 and #2 did we make the mistake of actually looking at puppies and finding a golden we couldn't not take home. 😁

While I cannot directly answer your question, I can offer some help in how to answer it yourself.
  • What are other breeders charging in your locale?
  • What "types" of breeders (i.e., hobby/preservation, commercial, backyard) are you dealing with?
  • Does the breeder provide AKC #s for the sire/dam?
  • Can you verify (via OFA and/or K9Data) that the minimal clearances (hips, elbows, eyes, heart) have been attained?
It can seem overwhelming, but it is possible to get a decent feel for all this in the span of a long weekend. Best of luck!

·
Registered
797 Posts
That's a normal price for a well-bred puppy. Just make sure that they're actually well-bred - which means at a minimum all health certifications (eye,heart,hip & elbow) done on both parents. If you're not sure, post the names of the parents here and people will check for you.

Honestly, the initial purchase price is a drop in the bucket compared to what vet bills, quality food, monthly flea/tick and heart worm preventatives and the gear you will need (crate(s), baby gates, leashes, harnesses, toys, brushes, treats, etc) will cost you. And then there's training classes.. and dog walkers unless someone is home all day. All completely and totally worth it IMO.

·
Registered
131 Posts
If you want a field bred pup check out Entry Express or Retriever Training Forum in the Golden retriever pup section. Most responsible field breeders have all their clearances. Now a field bred Golden is a little different: They will probably be more active and need a job to do. There are some reasonable prices on current pups below the 2500 range. Some prices to me are way to high with nothing in the pedigree but AKC registration papers. Do your research. My last two pups were 2500 and 3400. High price was due to the pedigree. Good luck!

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,535 Posts
Many people get sticker shock when they start shopping for a Golden. The average price does vary depending upon where you are but the going range is between two and three thousand dollars. So the price you were given is in the ballpark.

A word of warning, there is no negotiating the price of a puppy. Trying to get the breeder to drop the price will usually result in you finding yourself quickly being shown the door.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts