Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone. I am new to this forum, and I am looking at breeders. I read a great "sticky" on here to ask for info from the breeder about the health certifications of the sire and dam.

One breeder that I've been in contact with told me (over email) that both parents are hip, heart and eye certified (but didn't tell me what the ratings were), and when I asked for more specifics (like the dogs' formal names or numbers so I could look up their ratings), she told me she doesn't give out that information to "just anybody."

This sent up a red flag for me--seemed evasive. Am I wrong in assuming that the breeders should give that info to prospective buyers? What info should I expect, and is there anything I asked for that was "over the line"?

Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oops--clarification

I was wrong when I said she told me by email that the parents were hip, heart, and eye certified. She said this on the phone to my husband--it's not in writing at all. I asked for more information the following day by email, and she replied by email that she doesn't give that out to "just anyone."

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
That is not a good response from a breeder. I would not contact her again. Breeders (who are reputable) willingly give (and often have) their dog's registered names on the websites for you to look up.

Reactions: StarBright

·
Kate
22,736 Posts
One breeder that I've been in contact with told me (over email) that both parents are hip, heart and eye certified (but didn't tell me what the ratings were), and when I asked for more specifics (like the dogs' formal names or numbers so I could look up their ratings), she told me she doesn't give out that information to "just anybody."
Why the heck not? o_O

To me this sounds like:

1. I am not proud of my dog's pedigrees and don't want to be judged, so I do not give anyone that information until they are past the doorway and looking at the cute puppies.

2. I have heard of too many other breeders getting into trouble because somebody took the registered names of my dogs and took them to K9Data and Offa.org to look up clearances before I've had a chance to get you in the door.

3. Combination of the two above, I've been burned before.

4. Outside possibility that the breeder is up-and-up, but is afraid that you are going to steal her dog's identity. :)

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
I would be mumbling under my breath that I don't share my money with just anybody either...

On a less sarcastic note.... The breeders I know are very proud of the dogs they use in their breeding programs and don't hesitate to share their dogs registered names.

·
Banned
616 Posts
RUN! Send her an email stating that you know this information is public, and the only reason she wouldn't give it out, is that she was lying about the clearances. I give that information on my first reply to anyone inquiring, even if they don't ask for it. I send them the OFA website where they can see everything for both parents (and if its not on OFA website, I send a scanned copy). I also send them the COE, so they know exactly what questions to ask me. I also ask them if they have any questions about the clearances.

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
Huh-I include all of that information in my introductory email that I send to people after our first phone conversation: registered name, k9data link and OFA link, for both parents.

I agree, not sharing up front is VERY suspicious.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks!

Thanks so much, everyone! I will definitely find a breeder that is more up-front and honest with me!

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
my curiosity is killing me....what is the meaning behind your screen name?

Reactions: golden_eclipse

·
the party's crashing us
4,427 Posts
There would be NO reason for a breeder to not share this information. Registered names, AKC numbers and/or OFA (clearance) numbers are public information. There's no chance of fraud by just knowing this data. It's not like a SSN or CC number. VERY suspicious and in fact, you can probably ASSUME that the breeder is hiding something.

Reactions: HiTideGoldens

·
Registered
869 Posts
Hi, everyone. I am new to this forum, and I am looking at breeders. I read a great "sticky" on here to ask for info from the breeder about the health certifications of the sire and dam.

This sent up a red flag for me--seemed evasive. Am I wrong in assuming that the breeders should give that info to prospective buyers? What info should I expect, and is there anything I asked for that was "over the line"?

Thanks!
There is no reason that a breeder should not give you regsitered names. Most reputable breeders will actually have the registered names of their dogs on their website so that the information can be verified by anyone who chooses to do so.

There would be no reason "not to give this information to anyone". The information is on a public searchable database. I would say this would be a red flag and unless they want to provide the information, you would do better to look elsewhere.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Handpants :-D

my curiosity is killing me....what is the meaning behind your screen name?
I can hardly remember how it started, but one of my friends said something about one hand being dominant, and my son and I started laughing about "which hand wore the pants." When we got home, he drew a picture of handpants. Just silliness. When I logged on here, I couldn't think of a name, and my son suggested handpants. :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Too funny about the screen name! I had to admit, I was wondering the same thing. As far as that breeder: R-U-N! Wishing you the best of luck in your search.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts