Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pure-bred male golden retriever, who i have reciently found a mate for (a pure-bred female golden retriever.) the thing is i have no clue how much to sell the puppies for!!!:confused: i have no clue because my aunt gave him to me for free!! but she sold the other (pure-bred) puppies for around $500 or $800. both dogs are GORGOUS! they both are a rust color, and have big paws and a big head. please help me!!!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm not going to preach but...

Please just make sure that the pups have homes before you actually breed the dogs.

Otherwise, good luck. :D
Bonni

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bonni said:
Please just make sure that the pups have homes before you actually breed the dogs.

i dont have to do that because where i live you dont have to guess how many pups there will be. you just breed the dogs and put ads up and BAM the pups are sold. so you dont have to go preaching to me because i think your preaching is a liad of bu11$h!t :D OK!!

·
Registered
164 Posts
No need to get nasty...

Woe! I am not trying to preach.

Sorry if I stepped on toes. It's your dog. Breed if you want. Hey, I'm getting a dog from my friends who decided to breed their dog, so I'm certainly in no position to preach or judge, but what will you do if you happen to have a litter of 10 dogs and only 6 of them find homes? What will happen to the other 4? Are you ready to take on the responsibility of the extra 4 dogs? That's my concern.

You put the question out there, and I answered it.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hi, I think Bonni's title pretty much summarized it. There's really no need to be attacking each other on this forum. It is common for Goldens to have about 10 puppies and if you're confident you can sell any number your Golden has, there should not be any problem. If the price that your aunt was selling the puppies for was generally accepted as good, then that's probably what you could try to go with as well. Or another idea is to contact another breeder to see what are the prices they sell their puppies for.

The question Bonni posed - Do you have homes for all of them? - is asked by almost everyone (from the vet to the pet store owner) in this area (Toronto) because there are many people and many puppies and in this area it just shows how much responsibility are you willing to take on. Even if you have people who show interest when it comes to the time of "bread breaking", not all of them will want one. These are just words of warning. Again, you seem to be very confident not to have any problems. Ask around your in your area - the vet, other breeders, etc. for the general price for a Golden puppy.

Good luck!

·
Registered
414 Posts
If you feel that way about our preaching, then why come here?

If you want to learn something then ask questions.

If you actually believe that it is OK to irresponsibly breed Goldens and give them to homes without interviewing and checking out the new owners, then you don't belong here.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Rusty, litter of 10 puppies will cost $3,500 on vet and other bills, so ask for as much money as you feel is needed to cover this expense.
However, I never met anyone making money on breeding...

·
Registered
414 Posts
But you can make money if you don't get health clearances, don't bother taking the pups into the vets for first vaccinations and checkup. If you don't lay down a lot of money for good pedigree dogs and don't care who buys your pups and you offer no guarantees.

Rusty never did answer Goldenboys question about age and clearances. I'm not clear on whether Rusty has good intentions or is just after a quick buck.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Rusty is only here to create disturbance, a TROLL in the forums. If he isn't a troll, he's just a callous jerk. But you are right TW, he doesn't belong here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you actually believe that it is OK to irresponsibly breed Goldens and give them to homes without interviewing and checking out the new owners, then you don't belong here.[/QUOTE]

how do you irresponsibly breed a dog??? if there is extra pups then well i'll keep them but im 99.9% sure that i will find homes for a bunch of pups its not like im selling homes and who would'nt wanna buy a puppy from a sweet(;) ) 16 year old girl????
anyway i asked a simple question and only one person came up with an answer on topic!!(thanks vierka) the rest of you need to learn to stay on topic, i did'nt ask what i should expect or what i need to do!! i simply asked how much i could ask for the pups! so before you go typing away any old thing,just remember what the topic is...! because some people just dont wanna hear it!!
and if you were wondering im not gonna be a member on your stupid little website and its not because ya'll are stuck up pricks its because you cant even answer a simple question. come on im 16 and know how to stay on topic!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
rusty said:
...im not gonna be a member on your stupid little website and its not because ya'll are stuck up pricks its because you cant even answer a simple question. come on im 16 and know how to stay on topic!!

:confused: Rusty, you only need to learn couple of extra life skills and maybe you'll turn to be ok :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
OMG I didn't think I would join a forum where there is someone who wants to breed cos they have a purebred golden, and they know someone else with a purebred golden, and hey, we can mate them, and sell the puppies!!!!

WHOA!!!

There are enough Goldens, and other dogs, who have been bred indiscriminantly, and ended up with major health problems. What happens if those who buy a puppy, and it gets sick and they ask for their money back?

Imagine if you will......Mr Smith buys this lovely Golden puppy from a person who has a female Golden, that hasn't had the health checks done, but hey, it looks healthy, and the puppies are all so cute, and look healthy enough, and much cheaper than the registered breeder from across town who has all the health certificates relating to heart, hips, eyes etc. "Lets save a few bucks and buy from this person."

A year or more pass, and this adorable little puppy is grown up and starts limping. Taken to vet......major hip problems, will need surgery, cost of thousands of dollars.

Mr Smith and his family didn't bargain on that.....they bought this puppy cos he was cheaper, they didn't have to pay extra for the health checks etc. They don't want to fork out all that money......lets sell him/abandon him/dump him at the pound!!!

So one more dog to add to the pounds already full to bursting kennels.

For goodness sake Rusty, don't breed for the sake of breeding because you have a handsome male with nice head and big paws, nice colour etc, and you know someone with a lovely female, and wow, the dollar signs are lighting up in your head!!! Think of all those puppies!!!

I had folks telling me that I should breed my my Jessie, and I have to admit I toyed with the idea. Then I spoke to my breeder..... a responsible breeder. She told me all the work involved, all the health checks etc etc, all the money, and time involved, the risks of things going wrong during the birth, plus heaps more.

I had Jessie spayed......blow what others thought about breeding from her!!!

I'm sorry, but it sounds to me as though you are in it to make an easy buck, not genuinly concerned for the breed.

Throw sticks and stones at me if you will........but I know the folks here are all responsible golden owners, and I'm sure will back me up.

Oh, and my Jessie cost $750 [with papers, and with health checks on both parents], and Shadow cost $800, again with papers and with health checks on both sides.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I paid $400 for my purebred golden, he's not registered though. However $400 was with health check and health guarantee.

If your intentions are only to make money, I don't think you should be breeding. Breeding isn't just about finding two dogs and letting them mate, then sell the puppies for money. It takes a lot of responsibility, care, time, etc.

If you can't even answer a simple question like "how do you irresponsibly breed a dog???", then you are in no position to be breeding dogs. If you think that just because you are a "sweet 16 year old girl" you'll have no problem finding a home for the pups, I advise you to think again. Have you even bothered to think what kind of home that pups going to?

·
Old Guy
3,258 Posts
rusty said:
... both dogs are GORGOUS! they both are a rust color, and have big paws and a big head. please help me!!!
Well Rusty, you really did leave yourself open...
You do realize you appear to fit the definition of a "backyard breeder" and with that title comes a certain reputation... and by all you've stated so far, you've done nothing to make anyone believe you do not deserve the "backyard breeder" reputation. I might like to insert the concept that when contemplating bringing new life into the world one should probably be more concerned with health, temperament, and about improving the breed... as opposed to just gorgeous big paws and heads. I would feel a bit better if you had mentioned hip/heart/eye health clearances, praised the dogs' temperaments, mention Canine Good Citizen certifications... and THEN talked about the gorgeous big paws and heads and rust color. However that is just my opinion and most likely will have no affect on your thinking, so...

just to answer your question... what you should price the pups at really depends on your location, if the dogs have OFA clearances (and if so, what the ratings are), are you offering any warranties, are you offering to get the first set of shots, vet checks, etc... but the bottom-line answer to your question is "What ever the market will bear" ...meaning check your local paper and see what other backyard breeders are asking and do the same... as the left over puppies get older keep advertising and reducing the price until they are all gone... We paid $350 for our Sidney (with all health clearances, first set of shots and a health guarantee) but then I've also seen people asking for as much as $2400 for very specially bred ultra-light Goldens, so as you can see the range is quite large indeed. Since I don't have any information on where in the world you live and your dogs' backgrounds (health and titles earned) I will guess a range between $50 and $800... sorry but that is the best I can do on such skimpy information...

EDIT: Of the litter Sidney was born in, only 8 out of the 10 pups were actually sold... the last two had to be given away... and this was with the breeder continually advertising in all the major papers in all cities and towns within a 70 mile radius as well as posting on bulletin boards at over a dozen pet centers... she did this for almost 3 months (she started advertising right after the birth)... just something to think about.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts