Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! So the breeder recommended Victor super premium dog food, puppy or adult, it’s like all life stages, 2 whole cups 3 times a day! Is that too much? How much should he eat? He seems to only like to have a cup, thanks

·
Registered
133 Posts
You are not going to get a definitive answer on this one because there are too many variables. That said, if i am correctly interpreting that you were told to feed 2 cups 3x daily (6 total cups), that seems like an awful lot, regardless of the type of food. I fed 1c 3x day for the first few weeks (was feeding royal canine GR puppy at the time). I would check back with the breeder to make sure you got the values correct.

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,508 Posts
That is an insane amount of food to be feeding a Golden puppy. I've never fed more than 3 cups a day today at any age or weight puppy. Feed 3x a day .75 to a full cup until 4-5 months Anna then switch to 2x a day and 1.5 cups per feeding. At roughly 9-22 months your can switch to adult food.

This of course is based on a normal family pet. If this is a pup in training in the field and working/training 2 or 3 his a day then you will have to adjust up based on how fast they are burning the food.

Also, you shouldn't really feed an all life stage food (ALS) to a large breed puppy. It technically isn't biologically appropriate as ALS foods usually have too much calcium for a slower controlled growth.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Hi! So the breeder recommended Victor super premium dog food, puppy or adult, it’s like all life stages, 2 whole cups 3 times a day! Is that too much? How much should he eat? He seems to only like to have a cup, thanks
Hopefully your pup has been to the vet?
What does he/she say?
I would go by that over any advice received on the internet, or even from your breeder!

·
Puddles
3,399 Posts
Is the puppy eating this much food? Are you putting the kibble down and letting the pup continue through the day or do you have a schedule? I agree this is too much food for even a grown dog. Maggie's voice has offered a pretty normal feeding routine. Your pup should be hungry when you put down the meal, if they are not ... you are feeding too much.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Weighing in on food amount. My 6 m.o. pup weighs 42 lbs., appears thin, eats 2 rounded cups (puppy formula) twice a day plus eats lots of training treats (equivalent of at least another cup) throughout the day and vet says AOK for him.
He does exercise approx one to two hours a day, off leash with other dogs. He sees his vet regularly and has a clear bill of health. It seems like a lot of food to me but he’s ravenous and wants even more food all day. Hard to know what’s right but I tend to judge by his physique. Other same age pups he plays with are heavier and seem to have more stocky builds and eat much less.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts