Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My male is just over 20 weeks old (so close to 5 months) he has been in good transition and is doing great the last few weeks with it. Currently transferring him from Purina puppy chow to Purina pro plan large breed puppy. 25% old food and 75% new food is where I am at!

Anyways, in total he gets about 2.75 cups to 3 cups a day on average. He inhales his food as he has never seen food before. He is 29 pounds right now and I feel like he is on the smaller side but he is doing great! Should increase the food? When should I change his meals to only 2 meals a day ?

·
Esquire Golden Retrievers
5,028 Posts
Yeah. At that age I'm feeding my puppies four cups per day. But dogs differ. The main thing is that he is not fat, and that's good. Slow growth is good. But you don't want to starve him. What do you feel when you feel his rib cage? Can you see his hip bones looking from above?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah. At that age I'm feeding my puppies four cups per day. But dogs differ. The main thing is that he is not fat, and that's good. Slow growth is good. But you don't want to starve him. What do you feel when you feel his rib cage? Can you see his hip bones looking from above?
I can feel his rib cage , I can only see the rib cage visually when he is laying on his back and does a big stretch , also yes I can see his hip bones looking from above !

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.