Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a 3.5 year old golden who usually goes for short walks twice a day and a couple of times a week he goes to a daycare and he plays with other dogs. Is this enough exercise? How much should an adult golden have? He's about 89lbs so overweight.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator Leader
47,130 Posts
What food are you feeding him and how much at each feeding?

I would decrease his calories and increase the amount of exercise he gets each day, but I would increase the exercise gradually to avoid putting any stress and strain on his hips, joints and his organs.

Is he having any trouble walking, any joint problems?
My boy is a Senior now, but when he was that age, I walked him a mile twice a day and also played ball with him in the yard so he was getting lots of running in.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Is there any way he can get some off leash running? Rukie is almost 3 and he enjoys 15-20 minutes of playing with his friend or chasing a frisbee. I would like him to have that everyday but between weather and schedules he doesn't . I think, just like people, it is good for them to get their heart rate up but I don't have any science to support my opinion. It makes him very relaxed at night when he gets a good run. We also do some walks and swimming in the summer. Like Carolina Mom said, you would want to start gradually and carefully.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I just saw your other post about potty. Goodness you need to get his weight down and moving much more. Off leash running and playing as well as longer walks is defiantly needed. 3.5 is a young dog that needs to have more exercise. What has your Vet suggested for you to do? Did you get your dog as a puppy or a rescue?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He has full access to the backyard
I'm now on may leave (I have a 2 yr old and a Newborn) so he's been staying home but in normal conditions, he NEVER stays home or home alone. He either goes to his petsitter house where he plays a LOT with other dogs and runs all day , goes on walks (at least 2x a week) or goes with us to work, where, yeah, he doesn't get much exercise. He eats premium food Merrick Backcountry Raw infused and we usually put a little bit of raw frozen (instinct). We got him as a puppy. Off leash is a bit challenging. He is trained in everything but being off leash, he just goes wild as he is super excited by other dogs and people. When there are no distractions , he is usually fine but I can't trust him in an area that is not all fenced . He has no issues walking or running, very agile/athletic in that sense. He is also on the bigger range , everybody have always told me he seems taller than other goldens (since puppy phase). Any insights?

·
Registered
61 Posts
He should learn to stay home alone....or one day you will need to leave him and he will develop separation anxiety. Start with short stays, and build to longer stays. As far as being off leash...that is the recall exercise that you must work on. Let him drag a light 30 foot line...call him...and if he does not come right away...reel him in with the long line..and praise. It will take awhile to get a reliable recall.

·
Registered
351 Posts
It sounds like in the normal course of things he gets adequate exercise, so (assuming he was heavy even before he started to stay home with you during the day) I would say you are feeding him too much (another option is a thyroid issue, but let's eliminate the "too much food" possibility first!).

Can you tell us exactly how much he's getting fed each day (and not just his meals, but biscuits and other treats)?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts