Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve recently adopted a 6 year old, and I’m have trouble figuring out her exercise needs. She seems exhausted after a couple of 30 – 45 minute walks a day, plus some recall practice in the yard, mini-training sessions during the day, etc. Maybe I’m just used to a younger dog, but that doesn’t seem like enough. How much exercise does your 6 year old get daily?

·
Super Moderator
1,674 Posts
Oscar gets two 1/2 hour walks and three shorter business walks a day. We do not run him as per vets advice. He has a lumbar disk issue that becomes exacerbated with too much walking. We do encourage him to run home on the driveway, which is relatively short and he loves to do. Generally we allow him to guide us by his responses. Sounds like if there are no physiological issues you may need to more gradually increase your girls exercise. Being exhausted is not necessarily a good thing. Weight is also a factor. If she is, heavy exercise will be putting additional stress on joints, etc.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I would check with the vet. They know her condition and would be the best person to ask. My almost 5 year old runs agility but she’s in great physical condition. You might just being doing enough for her right now.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Kaizer is almost 5, so close enough?

He swims 2-3x a week for about 30 minutes each. He does agility 1-2x a week for 30-60 minutes - I don't count agility towards his daily exercise quota, but counting it for the purpose of this thread because he is running. I aim for a 30 minute off leash walk/hike 3x a week. I try to plan our activities so that he isn't swimming on the same day we have agility or we go on an off leash hike.

However, he is in decent physical condition and has the energy level (and personality!) of a 2 year old dog - there was no slowing down with him, and I doubt there will be for awhile. I agree with abeille that maybe you're doing enough for her now.

·
Kate
20,875 Posts
I’ve recently adopted a 6 year old, and I’m have trouble figuring out her exercise needs. She seems exhausted after a couple of 30 – 45 minute walks a day, plus some recall practice in the yard, mini-training sessions during the day, etc. Maybe I’m just used to a younger dog, but that doesn’t seem like enough. How much exercise does your 6 year old get daily?
Doesn't matter what other people do with their dogs. You have to figure out how much exercise your dog needs - which based on what you say about her being exhausted, would indicate she's getting too much for what she's been conditioned for most of her life before becoming your dog or she is very sore after too much exercise. Be aware that age 5 is that point when dogs start developing arthritis and golden retrievers don't show pain well. If you want to keep her active for the rest of her life - you need to help her out with joint supplements to keep her limber + look around for a source for chiropractic adjustments and hydrotherapy.

Be cautious relying on recall practice as a source of exercise, as a lot of dogs injure muscles this way.

Personally speaking, my 7 year old boy gets just one walk a day - and that usually is about 30-45 minutes (usually a 2-3 mile on leash walk). These walks do not tire him and his sons out at all - as I usually let them off leash when we get back home and they spend the next 10-15 minutes running and playing. I've not kept track of how many times they go outside to run and play every day - but it's a bunch of times through the day, every day.

Generally speaking - if weather is good, the dogs do get to go on off leash hikes and swims 2-3 times a week. But we've been frozen up for the past 2.5 months, so that's not happening right now. ;)

·
Registered
21,018 Posts
In addition to what Kate said, it depends on how much the dog is used to. My 13 year old (well, he'll be 13 in a couple of weeks) walks about 2 miles per day, plays ball, and upland hunts. It's how he was raised. Since you just adopted her, I'd start out slowly and then add a few minutes a day. Assuming, of course, that she's been vetted an everything is okay.

·
Registered
75 Posts
A 6 year old should be able to do much more that that, BUT... it depends on his shape (build-up gradually) and the weather conditions (most retrievers don't do well in the heat). So if he was just recently adopted, if the weather is not too hot where you live, I'd build-up stamina gradually. Also, is the dog overweight? Does he have other health issues (heartworm, heart-issues etc?)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts