Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone has the English/British/European/Canadian type golden, how much does yours weigh? I read they may be heavier/blockier than American lines.

I just weighed my baby at 9 months and she is 64 lbs! I feed about 2.5 cups of Fromm Surf& Turf or Chicken a la veg with chicken breast or salmon on top.

No real problems feeling the ribs, thinking of cutting down a bit but concerned if puppies need extra nutrition in puppyhood. When are they considered not a puppy anymore and full grown?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Izzi is 72 pounds at 2 yrs old. I feed her 1 cup twice a day of California Natural Grain Free.

·
Jill -- Maisie's "Mom"
563 Posts
7 Months

Maisie is 7 months and an English Standard from European lines. At her last check-up about 2 weeks ago she weighed 53 pounds. She's eating about 4 cups of food day split into two feedings. It's a blend of Iams Large Breed Puppy and Orijen Large Breed Puppy. (For some reason when she was eating just the Orijen, she tested as anemic so her vet wanted her to eat a diet that had some grain.) Like your pup, she is blocky, but not overweight at all.

Someone more knowledgable than me should comment on when pups stop growing, but I don't think it's until well after a year.

Here she is (not a great photo, but it gives some sense of her size):

Attachments

·
Registered
513 Posts
Bonnie is 10 months old and weighs approximately 30Kgs. I am English and Bonnie is an English bred Golden Retriever.
I don't think she is quite fully grown yet and would not expect her to reach final optimum weight before 18 months Because I believe Golden Retrievers are considered to be a large breed dog she is still on large breed puppy food which (according to the pack) is suitable until she is 18 months old. She is not overweight and I feed her twice a day - between 325-450g of dry food per day. Size wise she is considerably taller and longer than the average labrador.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
If anyone has the English/British/European/Canadian type golden, how much does yours weigh? I read they may be heavier/blockier than American lines.

I just weighed my baby at 9 months and she is 64 lbs! I feed about 2.5 cups of Fromm Surf& Turf or Chicken a la veg with chicken breast or salmon on top.

No real problems feeling the ribs, thinking of cutting down a bit but concerned if puppies need extra nutrition in puppyhood. When are they considered not a puppy anymore and full grown?

A better measure than comparing to other dogs is whether you can feel her ribs with just a fine covering or has she got a layer of fat? Does she have a waist? Have you asked the breeders about the parents size and what to expect? Adult sizes vary greatly
so if she comes from small parents she could well be overweight now but if they are medium to big then shes probably fine!
My boy is a big boy and from a year on exceeded all weight charts for his age but theres not a person on earth who would look
at him or feel him and say hes overweight! Hes got first and third in confirmation shows and at fourteen months,maybe before, I cant quite recall now, hit eighty two pounds.
Are you folowing the feeding guidelines on the pack and are you giving lots of treats on top? If she has lots of treats then you can cut a little feed.

·
luverofpeanuts
154 Posts
Last week, at 39 weeks (born April 13,2011),

Spirit was 71.5 pounds,
Aspen was 57.9 pounds,

They've started to slow down to only gaining 1 or 2 pounds every couple of weeks now.

I think Aspen is pretty sleek, very trim, and has a very fine feeling coat.

Spirit's male features have him with a blockier head, a bit more solid and stocky feeling, and his coat feels a bit more coarse and thicker. He still has a waist and I can feel his ribs... though not quite as easily as Aspen's ;-)

Aspen & Spirit's weight chart

·
Megan, Moose's Mom
746 Posts
we figure moose is about 70ish pounds. his last weigh in was 2 months ago and he was 53 pounds and he has grown quite a bit since then

·
Registered
135 Posts
Finn is english block type GR. He is 7 months and weighed in at 60lbs/22 1/2 inches tall. The vet would like to see him 2-3 lbs less so we have cut from 4 cups to 3 1/4 and also changing from puppy to adult over the next 2 weeks. He is active and you can work alittle to feel his ribs. His mom was a sleek female but dad was a blocky 90 plus lb golden.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Neither of mine are as tall as the goldens in our class, but not but a bit shorter, though our little boy is much huskier than the boy in his class. Kye is 8 1/2 mo and weighs 63 lbs, more lanky. Coop is almost 6 mo and weighs in at 51 lbs, but is very blocky, bigger head, just a bigger boned boy. They seem to be following their parents. But know I have to watch Coop because to me he gains easily.

·
Registered
10 Posts
welcome to the forum Mollymo! Your girls are gorgeous (I'm partial to a bit of curly wave myself :)) I missed their names?
Thanks,
This looks the place for me to be with all these lovely goldies here...joined in 2009 but just not posted:rolleyes:
Emma and Sophie are their names:)

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Hi Mollymo..lovely girlys! I hope you are going to pop over and join us on the UK section too! 2009!? Wow, glad you have decided to speak up and let us see your gorgeous dogs now! I am owned by Chester aged 19 months, big boy, big head and cheeky chatterbox. Have shown him a few times with success but havent been well since serious surgery last year so may or may not manage to again. Looking forward to getting to know you all more :)

·
goldenfan
695 Posts
Weights in adult UK bred goldens vary, FT bred dogs are lighter but the show bred ones I have are:
Dogs 35 to 42 KG The 35 Kg male is a youngster and I would expect him to finish around 35 to 36Kg. The 42Kg dog was a well muscled dog not carrying any additional weight but very heavy boned
Bitches 29 to 34 Kg The 29Kg one is again a youngster and may finish a little heavier I have one very heavy boned large girl and one much small and finer but both weigh the same!
Annef

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Mollymo..lovely girlys! I hope you are going to pop over and join us on the UK section too! 2009!? Wow, glad you have decided to speak up and let us see your gorgeous dogs now! I am owned by Chester aged 19 months, big boy, big head and cheeky chatterbox. Have shown him a few times with success but havent been well since serious surgery last year so may or may not manage to again. Looking forward to getting to know you all more :)
Hi,Thankyou we are very proud of our girls. :)
We have had many goldens over 35yrs all lovely girls.

Chester is a lovely dog looking at your albums.
Sorry you have not been well....shame having to stop showing and lets hope you maybe able to show sometimes in the future.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Some others have already said and I agree that weight is just a very rough guide, it all depends on the dog. Some are heavier but look slimmer so I wouldn't focus on the actual weigh too much but rather work on how the dog looks. The last time I weighed Molly was at 7 months and she weighed 58lbs, but at 9 months she would have been heavier, I'm guessing around 65lbs.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts