Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Good grief! I took Flora in today for her 1 month checkup and asked if we could get her nails trimmed in the process. We did, Flora was very squirmy and did let out a bit of an irritated growl, but was fine otherwise, but it cost us a whopping $17!!!! It used to cost $8 at our vet's. The daycare where Flora goes used to charge $5 but recently upped it to $10 without warning. Are nail trims going up in price everywhere, or is just my location?
:no:

Lol, I just realized that the title of my post sort of implies that I'm asking how much a nail trim would cost for a human, but I really mean for your dog!

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
That sounds outrageous! I think the last time I had Brady's done it was between $5 & $10 at a self serve groomers. I don't think I have ever paid more that $8.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Our vet recently got voted as one of the top 23 clinics in the Chicago area by Chicago Magazine, so I was wondering if that went to their heads or something, but I do remember that the magazine actually rated our clinic as also being one of the more expensive ones in the area. Ah well. I'll still go to them no matter what.

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
We charge $15, because quite often people who bring their dogs to us for just a nail trim haven't done it in months and the nails are a mess to dremel. And usually the dog isn't very co-operative either and it takes two people to do them sometimes. However it's included in bathing or grooming along with teeth scaling which is the better overall deal. I'm sure if there was a dog who didn't pull, scream, snap etc. and their nails were already pretty good so it was quick they'd pay less (but if you tell someone it'll cost less then charge them more they're not as happy).

Lana

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
Our old vet charged $25 for nail trims! :eek:
The indoor dog park charges $10. I haven't had Molson's nails done yet but he needs one badly so I better get on that!

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
Last time we had Mojo at the vet they did his nails AND paw fur... it was $12. I asked Gary because LAST time it was $8, but he said last time they didn't trim his paw fur... So...

We're definitely going to be doing it at home now. Even if we have to muzzle to poor chap. :(

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We charge $15, because quite often people who bring their dogs to us for just a nail trim haven't done it in months and the nails are a mess to dremel. And usually the dog isn't very co-operative either and it takes two people to do them sometimes. However it's included in bathing or grooming along with teeth scaling which is the better overall deal. I'm sure if there was a dog who didn't pull, scream, snap etc. and their nails were already pretty good so it was quick they'd pay less (but if you tell someone it'll cost less then charge them more they're not as happy).

Lana
That was kind of what I was wondering, if they upped the prices because dogs were so unruly. Flora was fairly squirmy and DID let out a good rumble, but overall it didn't take more than 2 minutes to get them all done.

I would do them on my own but it seems like every time I try I cut Flora's quick. She is SO good about letting me hold her paws and clip the nails, but I get myself so worked up about cutting her quick that I usually end up just snipping a tiny little piece off and giving up. :eek:

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
I think the few times I took Chester for a nail / paw fuzz trim it was $25 and then I tipped the guy. That is when I thought I can do this myself .... I might take Murphy 1 or 2 times....just so he is used to different people touching his feet and grooming him.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I usually try & do it myself but if not there is a little groomer/pet store right down the road & it is $5. I am considering a dremel.

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
That was kind of what I was wondering, if they upped the prices because dogs were so unruly. Flora was fairly squirmy and DID let out a good rumble, but overall it didn't take more than 2 minutes to get them all done.

I would do them on my own but it seems like every time I try I cut Flora's quick. She is SO good about letting me hold her paws and clip the nails, but I get myself so worked up about cutting her quick that I usually end up just snipping a tiny little piece off and giving up. :eek:
Easiest thing to do is just take a bit off at a time. If you snip and see that there is a soft spot on the inside, then don't clip any more or you'll get the quick. Usually once I see about where I need to trim to on the first few nails then I can just do the rest about the same and it's fine. Back nails usually aren't as long as the fronts. Even if all you do is a tiny bit each time, and do it twice a week, you'll be fine. The more often you do it the less chances of splitting the nails and having a mess to deal with.

Lana

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Easiest thing to do is just take a bit off at a time. If you snip and see that there is a soft spot on the inside, then don't clip any more or you'll get the quick. Usually once I see about where I need to trim to on the first few nails then I can just do the rest about the same and it's fine. Back nails usually aren't as long as the fronts. Even if all you do is a tiny bit each time, and do it twice a week, you'll be fine. The more often you do it the less chances of splitting the nails and having a mess to deal with.

Lana
Now that Flora's nails are at a good length, maybe I'll work on maintaining them myself. I'm glad the back nails usually don't get as long because she's a bit more difficult with her hind legs. Her front paws she'll actually hand to me, but she makes me scramble for her back paws. :p:

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Boy I knew my vet was great but I never realized how much on little things. My vet doesnt charge me anythig to trim the pups nails. I walk in and ask and they clip and then say have a great day.

PS I fixed the title for you.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Boy I knew my vet was great but I never realized how much on little things. My vet doesnt charge me anythig to trim the pups nails. I walk in and ask and they clip and then say have a great day.

PS I fixed the title for you.
Aw, thank you. Now it makes more sense. :) And boy, you have a great vet! I was secretly hoping the nail trim would be free since we were in for a surgical check up and had already given them a boatload of money, but.. no. :p:

·
Barley & Mira's Mom
3,489 Posts
Carol, you have a GREAT vet!

Not sure what mine charges, I do it myself...

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
When we used to take Tucker to the vet to have his nails trimmed it was $12. We bought a Dremel several months ago and do it ourselves now.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Im really proud of you Jo! I KNEW you could do it! :)

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Im really proud of you Jo! I KNEW you could do it! :)
It all depends on Mr. Grumpy Pants' mood!!! There is still a muzzle involved!

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
With Comet and Dakota, I had it easy. They had the "Free Nail Trim" flag on their records at the old Vet. After 18 years and who knows how many thousands of dollars spent there, I appreciated that as a bennie :)

Gilmour's nail trims are free too. At least for now. When he goes to the breeders on Saturdays for short 5 hour boards while I tend to my Mom, any trimming or grooming needed is taken care of then.

I did buy one of those Pedi-Paws nail grinders. I feel like I'm going to break the ****** thing just by picking it up. I've never had a need to use it yet, but it's there.

The Pro's seem to use good old fashioned Dremel tools and sanding-band attachments.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts