Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am curious how much an 8 week puppy poops on average! My little guy has been pooping about 2-3 times a day, I would say they are good poops and I am happy with them! Should he be pooping more then that? I am feeding 1/2 cup of Purina puppy chow 3x a day right now. It is what the breeder had him on and I plan to change him to Purina puppy large breed pro plan after 6 weeks or so! Then I will make the transition! Thanks :) this is my first little puppy. I love him so much

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
No reason to go to large breed. I didn't with my last pup.
Pup should poop after every feeding at this age. So feed pup, take them outside and they'll poop relatively quickly. Only so much room in their tiny bodies at this stage of their lives.
I should say I take my pups outside every time they wake up, play for a little bit, eat, or just every 30 minutes. They just poop and pee a lot at this age.
Have fun!!!

·
Kate
22,167 Posts
Any time they eat - they will have to poop 10 minutes later.

Any time they get excited, hyped up, or stressed... they will have to poop.

·
Registered
9,040 Posts
At least 3-4 times a day- the waste a litter of 8 week old pups produces is pretty astounding.
and really, 5 might be just as normal.

·
Registered
33 Posts
How much do you feed a day?:)
We were on one cup to one and a third a day at 8 weeks, and in the process of increasing to 1.5 cups a day now she's 9.5 weeks. Have realised today thanks to this forum that we probably need to be giving her more, likely 2 cups a day I suspect - will need to check with our vet. FWIW our vet didn't think 4-5 poops were anything to be surprised about even when she was on one cup a day!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Poop sounds about right plus or minus, as long as it is firm and not runny he is good! Our last pup we also fed Purina Puppy Chow, but we did the large breed that our breeder said will keep him from growing to fast. We started at 1 cup, twice a day, morning and night...he also had access to fresh water all day, until 8pm when we put it up so he could hold his water at night.

Sounds like you are off to a great start, with a real nice pup....pictures please!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts