Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if I'm over or under feeding Bailey. Right now I feed her 3 cups a food everyday at 8 1/2 months old. I split that into two meals. Bailey also gets Iams biscuits through out the day and cheese for training. She seems to be putting on a bit of weight these past two weeks. I also walk her an hour or so a day.

How much do you feed your pups?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
It depends on the calories per cup of the food you feed. Brady is eating California natural lamb and rice which is 430 calories/cup. We feed him 3 cups per day, so 1290 calories, plus a handful of treats throughout the day for training. At 8-1/2 months we fed him a bit more, around 3-1/3 cups/day, so around 1436 calories per day plus treats. But it's also a balance with how much exercise they get, and of course every dog's metabolism is different. At her age I would expect that she would continue to gain weight. They continue to gain, albeit more slowly, until around 2 years. The best way to judge proper weight, IMO, is to visualize her waistline from above and to be able to feel her ribs easily.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
It all depends on the food and how many calories are in each cup. When Tucker was about 6 or 7 months old, he went from eating 3 cups a day down to 2 and that's also when we switched him from puppy food to adult. (He was on Pro Plan at that time.) Our new pup, Tyson, is 9 weeks old and is currently eating 3 cups of a day of Pro Plan chicken and rice puppy formula.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Hank eats Innova LBP, 3 cups/day @ 367 calories/cup = 1101 calories/day. He also gets a few treats everyday. He's 6.5 months old, 50 lbs.

oops, weighed Hank tonight, he weighs 54 lbs.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm not sure if I'm over or under feeding Bailey. Right now I feed her 3 cups a food everyday at 8 1/2 months old. I split that into two meals. Bailey also gets Iams biscuits through out the day and cheese for training. She seems to be putting on a bit of weight these past two weeks. I also walk her an hour or so a day.

How much do you feed your pups?
Bailey is beautiful! I love the picture in the snow! Well Charlie will be 1 year old next month! :doh: I can hardly believe my baby boy is a year. Kind of sad actually. Anyway, he gets 1 1/2 cups of dry dog food at lunch time and then a small can of food at supper time. He also gets treats when we train. Every so often (maybe once a week) to shake things up he will get a raw chicken leg quarter for lunch instead of his dry dog food. I try to do that on days I know I'll be training a lot. He weighs 65 pounds at a year right now. How much does your dog weigh?

·
Registered
142 Posts
It all depends on the food and how many calories are in each cup. When Tucker was about 6 or 7 months old, he went from eating 3 cups a day down to 2 and that's also when we switched him from puppy food to adult. (He was on Pro Plan at that time.) Our new pup, Tyson, is 9 weeks old and is currently eating 3 cups of a day of Pro Plan chicken and rice puppy formula.
I love the picture of him on his back with the teeth!!! Priceless! :p:

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bailey is beautiful! I love the picture in the snow! Well Charlie will be 1 year old next month! :doh: I can hardly believe my baby boy is a year. Kind of sad actually. Anyway, he gets 1 1/2 cups of dry dog food at lunch time and then a small can of food at supper time. He also gets treats when we train. Every so often (maybe once a week) to shake things up he will get a raw chicken leg quarter for lunch instead of his dry dog food. I try to do that on days I know I'll be training a lot. He weighs 65 pounds at a year right now. How much does your dog weigh?
I have no idea how much she weighs. I've noticed she is gaining weight in the last two weeks. Maybe it's a growth spurt.

·
Mom to Fyodor & Gibson
1,303 Posts
Gibby is pretty active but still only eats 2 cups a day and has for a while now. He does get treats throughout the day, though.

·
Registered
75 Posts
What cuties!!

PETA TV:Iams: A Recipe for Cruelty
They're both so cute! Anyway thats enough for your dog because she looks fine and you only need to feel her side to how easily you can feel her ribs. That'll tell you if she's the right side.
Don't feed your dog Iams products...
Caring consumers might never guess that lonely animals are confined to tiny barren cages in laboratories for years on end to test dog and cat food. PETA has contacted hundreds of companion-animal food companies to find out whether they conduct laboratory tests on animals. Numerous companies responded to let us know that they do not.
The second ingredient in Iam's is Corn meal. Dogs cannot digest this, and it's the second ingredient!
Dog Food Reviews - 1 Star Dry Dog Food - Powered by ReviewPost
Try a higher quality food like Innova, EVO, Taste of the Wild or Blue Buffalo. All very high quality nutritious foods.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
It also depends on weight as well as the quality of the food.
I like to use the rule of every 20 pounds= 1 cup of food.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Izzy is on Taste of the Wild Sierra Mountain and eats 4 cups a day divided into two meals...338 calories/cup so 1352 calories for the day with zukes treats for training. She weighed 58 lbs last week and the vet wants to keep her around 62 but at 7.5 months I don't know how easy that will be.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I feed my 3 month puppy about a cup 3 times a day. He usually eats most of it if not all of it. He is growing fast. I am feeding him Nutro large puppy breed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts