Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dalton is about 3 months today, and has been with us for less than a week, and I'm wondering about the schedule we've been on with him. I work from home, so am able to spend a fair amount of time with him during each day. But since I can't seem to get anything at all done when he's out of the crate (ha!), he also spends a good amount of time in his crate each day. He also sleeps in his crate at night (10pm-7am). I'm feeling a tad guilty that he's in there so much and am curious what others do.

On average, I'd say we do something like this 7-9 out of the crate, 9-11:30 crated, 11:30-12:30 out, 12:30-3 crated, 3-4:30 out, 4:30-5:30 crated, 5:30-10 out. That's all approximate, of course, but is a general idea of what we've done this week. Too much crate time?

If it matters, when he's out in the morning and evening he's playing with me, my husband, and our almost 3 year old, taking our evening walk, eating his meals and cuddling. During the day it's just me, and we work on training a bit, play inside and out, and cuddle.

Thanks for reading if you got this far, sorry it got long!

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
I think it sounds like a perfect schedule! I bet potty training is going well! The crate will gives them a home base to start their training, don't feel guilty about it! Both of mine started to sleep in our room by 4-6 onths and the crates were put away at about 15 months, so it's not like it is forever.

But some of them want to sleep in them forever!

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
I think that sounds fine. Jack is about the same age and he's in his laundry room area (penned area) from about 9-12, out from 12-1 and crated from 1-4:30 on weekdays. He's mostly out from 4:30 until bedtime around 10....unless he turns into a devil - then he gets timeout for about 20 minutes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts