Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a 3.5 year.old golden who only goes out to pee/poo 2x.a day, which is when we take him out for a walk. Once in the morning and another in the evening. He only goes during the walks. If I take him in the middle of the day, he will go, but if I don't, he doesn't seem bothered. Is this normal? How many times do yours go?

Thank you so much!

·
Super Moderator Leader
46,421 Posts
I walk my boy daily and he goes out several times throughout the day-I have a fenced in yard.
He usually poops in the a.m. and evening.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Two or three poops a day is normal for mine. I'm not sure about pees I guess around 5 or 6. Sometimes he asks to go out just to look around.

·
Registered
12,551 Posts
Shala has the chance to pee at least 4-5 times a day, and she poops twice a day.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Most dogs poop twice a day if they are eating a decent food...more often if it's a grain based food with very little meat. Just more fiber in it that does not digest as well...and has to come out. As for peeing...5 -6 times per day. It's not good for a dog to be only allowed to pee twice per day...it can cause bladder infections because they are holding it too long. I figure they need to pee as often as we do...and it depends on how much they are drinking, and the temperature, and activity level.
OP, please take your dog out to pee more often than twice per day....it just is not healthy for him to hold it too long. He may be able to...but he really should not have to.

·
Registered
87 Posts
We usually get 2-3 poos per day, and give at least 5-6 opportunities for a pee break. I'd rather take him out a little too frequently than deal with an accident in the house. Of course, if he's super active or drinking lots of water we'll take him out more than if he's lounging around and snoozing.

·
Super Moderator Leader
46,421 Posts
OP, please take your dog out to pee more often than twice per day....it just is not healthy for him to hold it too long. He may be able to...but he really should not have to.
Completely agree with this, when they hold it too long, it can lead to problems such as a UTI.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He has full access to the backyard but refuses to go potty there. We are a full time working parents with a 2 yr old and a newborn and can't go out with him more than twice a day. I'm thinking of strategies for him to go potty on the backyard but he just won't. I'm on mat leave but normally he NEVER stays home alone. But currently or when working from home, this is how it goes. He doesn't show any signs of needing to go. But I was always concerned that this could later cause him something bad
Any tips?

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
My boy is not much of a pee-er either! 3 times a day is usual. We are both retired and someone is almost always here to tend to his majesty. He asks to go out several times a day but just to survey his domain! His worst pee habit is that sometimes he does not decide to take his first pee until after 1pm! And he does not like to pee when we are out and about, he holds it forever, which does not make for a good time for me because I obsess about how long since he peed last!
His peeing is a constant conversation in this house. LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts