Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Rebecca
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
my golden retriever Hermione loves to get really mucky when i take her to the park. I have to bath her 5 times a week. I have been told that this is to much. But if you see what she looks like in her picture (and this is on a clean day) i have to.

Ps does any one know of a good brand of shampoo for dogs with grass seed allergies

Attachments

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I swear the lighter their coloring the more they like the mud. :D I agree with the above posters and just do the rinse thing if you are doing it that often. My guys only get a bath once or twice a year but do a lot of swimming.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
If you do need to wash her because of her color and the fact that the mud might actually stain her coat, you can find detergent free shampoos. Those are all I use on my dogs. I don't wash mine terribly often unless we have a therapy dog visit or they have gotten stinky up at the lake.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I agree with the above posts. I would only rinse her off and just use the shampoo when necessary. With Neo, we rinse him off if he gets dirty and only give him a actual bath about once every couple months. Basically he gets one when he gets stinky. I do love the coloring on her coat. Like Oaklys Dad said the lighter the coat the more they like the mud. lol My Maltese would just roll in any mud puddle she could find :doh:

·
Banned
507 Posts
A couple of weeks Bogart got pretty nasty. It's still Winter I realize that but if my guy can go into the cold water on walks and get totaly nasty he can stand the garden hose, I'm pretty cold blooded that way:uhoh:.
He really was fine with it didn't move away from the water hose and afterwards I dried him off pretty well and he spend his time in the house where it's warm anyway. I wouldn't use Shampoo all the time either.
All the best,

·
Maryland
2,806 Posts
Rinse, towel dry...whatever dirt is left will fall off. Just make sure she's on tile or something like that. NOT your furniture.

OR you can blow dry with a COOL air dryer (believe it or not, shop vacs work great for this...CLEAN ones) and brush the dirt right out of the coat. It gets ALL of the dirt out, to the skin. It even works without rinsing.

My Goldens get bathed about 2-3 times a year. They swim almost every day, but not in a pool...in a pond. Their coats are full of sand...so I blow them out. You can even blow the dogs when they're dry and not muddy, to get the dander out of the coat. You'll be amazed at how much "dust" is in their coat.

Make sure you do this OUTSIDE or in a garage. Whatever comes off the dog goes shooting a good distance.

I have show dogs and don't bathe them more than once a week. And only do that if they're showing that week. If they're not...it's every 2-3 weeks for them.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Hermione is a beauty. I bathe my Golden puppy once a week with either Bio-Groom or Cowboy Magic shampoo. If you use a good dog shampoo it will have the correct ph balance and shouldn't dry the coat or skin. You can even dilute the shampoo with water and make the shampoo last longer. You can also consider a nice conditioner.

·
Social Therapy Dog
613 Posts
I use a shampoo called "tropic clean". it has no detergents in it and uses coconut milk to clean along with various other fruit juices...etc Its some of the best I have found to be honest. Its expensive but I simply take one bottle and seperate it out into four bottles, filling the rest of each bottle with water which not only makes it easier to apply using a sprayer but it cleans just as well and makes rinsing an absolute breeze. I bath on avg once a week currently as we're out in all kinds of weather and muck every day for hours at a shot plus the fact that she got to work with me 4-5 days a week, so she MUST MUST MUST be clean to do that kind of work with me. And then after 100 or more kids and adults love on her and pet her, I give her a bath anyway just for hygenic reasons. I buy a good quality conditioner that I spray on after the bath and then rinise it off. Both of these give her coat the silkiest sheen I have ever seen on a golden, her skin is sooo soft and smooth, not a patch of dryness anyway on her body, since it has oatmeal in it, it stops 99% of the itchies for her. And with this many baths it make it easier to handle when she blows coat. It really shortens how long that lasts. During the summer I'm able to reduce the number of baths to about once every two-three weeks but again, it all depends on what she has gotten into, if its just mud I can hose her off outside and give a drying and a spritz of leave in conditioner and comb it through and she goes back to looking pretty again. If its something dead, which she has a penchent for then a full on bath it is! I honestly cannot imagine only giving her one or two baths per year, I really cannot! Unless she was indoors constantly or we did not do any hiking in the woods at all , then...maybe we could get away with it. But we just love being int he mountains and forests to omuch to avoid them just for the sake of cleanliness as it only takes me 45 mins for a bath from the time she steps in top the tub, to rinse off , to conditioner, to towels dry and finally blow dry. So I don t mind spending that lil bit of time to keep her looking great, smelling wonderful, and having no matts...etc Everyone that meets her just constantly raves about her hair so I must be doing something right. lol

·
Joy of my heart
529 Posts
The top shampoo for severely sensitive skin & allergies is DermaPet DermaLyte. It was the very first shampoo developed for as frequent of as daily, & the developer is a world-leading veterinary dermatologist.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts