Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to make a decision on whether to have the vet implant a microchip on Cody soon. I am sure that some of you guys are in the same boat. For me, I am about 80% sure. The remaining doubt is about the Cancer issue. A Google research shows that there is a risk, though most of the commentators are still for it. So, it is a risk-benefit analysis (again).

Soo, just checking on your thoughts.

Thanks

·
Curator of the Coy Zoo
770 Posts
The risk of them getting out and never being returned home is greater then a small possiblity of any adverse health problem. We've found many a lost dog and the first thing we always do is have them scanned. No chip led to our adopting FuzzFace, a beautiful, gentle purebred English Setter we found. I am sure someone was heartbroken, but we advertised, hung posters, etc but never located her old family. Their loss because she was an amazing dog! Anyway, both of ours were chipped on their first visit to our Vet after their adoption.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I microchipped ours. We have children and it would be easy for someone to accidentally leave a door open or for a dog to run out with so many people coming and going. We also have a summer place we go to on a lake so the dogs will be in an unfamiliar place if they would escape there.

·
Mardovar Goldens
113 Posts
I am also microchipping my dogs. Good peace of mind as well as permanent identification incase of any sort of emergency. I typically chip mine when I go to do health clearances so that number can be tracked with them.

·
Registered
417 Posts
We just had Tucker Neutered at 8 months and it was a no-brainer to do the microchip when we had him in. Gives us piece of mind because we, too, have a house full of kids coming and going with the risk of a pooch making a run for it!

·
old but new
711 Posts
I'm getting both Benny and Brody done. About 3 weeks ago one of the kids went out and didn't notice that Benny got out also, and he was missing for 7hrs. Thank goodness he had an ID Tag on and was returned to us, but he could have been stolen or let out without his collar on and then we would probably have never seen him again.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
I can say as a veterinarian of 25 plus years, I have never seen cancer from a microchip...
All nine Goldens I have ever owned where microchipped as were numerous puppies.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Hank is the second to be micorchipped, Maggie was done in 1995. No health issues due to the micochip as far as I know.

·
Serawyn
253 Posts
We microchipped Ellie when she was spayed. I agree with others that the chance of her being lost or out is higher than any healthy risks. Of course, you have to keep in mind that even if your dog is microchipped she or he would need to be scanned. It's still up to whomever that found the dog to bring it in. It's illegal in CA for someone to keep a lost animal, but you just never know. :(

·
now Mom to Kiwi
2,785 Posts
Kiwi will be microchipped when she goes in for her spay surgery. Our previous Golden Maddie came with an ear tattoo from her breeder 10 yrs ago and we never did end up getting her microchipped but we said for sure we would have Kiwi done.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Piper is carrying two microchips, Gauge is carrying one, and Darbie will get a chip in two weeks.

I have the vet check for the location and to confirm that the chips are working at each visit.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all for your comments. Well, microchip it is. Since I don't plan to neuter Cody until he is 8 months old, I'll do it when he is 4, during his Rabies vaccine visit.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I will never not microchip my babies....Not only is it a law in many cities it also gives me a certain level of comfort knowing that if they get lost and are found I will get them back (Its happened to us before, our first golden got away from my sister during a walk and disappeared for two days. The night of the second day I got a call from a vet from another city saying they had him and I could come get him, so we picked him up on the third day..such a relief and I honestly think that if I didnt have him chipped I would have never got him back!)

·
Jill -- Maisie's "Mom"
563 Posts
Yes and...

Maisie is microchipped as were our two rescued adult GRs. Since we waited to have Maisie spayed, we had her microchipped before she was spayed. The microchip insertion was done without anesthesia. I was concerned since the needle is a pretty large size. She didn't even notice -- not a flinch.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I was thinking too that if someone wanted to keep a dog they found the chip also prevents that from happening because eventually they would have to take the dog to the vet and the chip would be scanned. Hopefully no one would do it on purpose but you just never know.

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,555 Posts
Both of mine are microchipped, not only is it a way to find them should they ever get lost, but also proof of ownership.

Very important -register their information, your contact info, vet info on line with the Chip Co.-mine are with Home Again. I have their registration on an Auto Renewal Program.

When your dog(s) get a new Rabies Vaccination, you normally receive a new tag with a new Rabies Number, be sure to change it each time in their Account information and be sure to update any address or phone number changes.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
Buddy is getting microchipped once I decide which one to get.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts