Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My short hand means:
How many American golden retrievers achieve show championships per year on average?
For the heck of it, how many Canadian golden retrievers achieve show championships per year?

Is the number going up or down over time?

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Don't have easy access to Canadian info, but the yearbook is a super source for this sort of thing.
If you are interested in stats on multiple titles it's not that easy on the yearbook but Charles Jones keeps very current combo stats on undeniablegoldens.com such as CH w excellent hips, or CH w SH...

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2017-290
2016- 301
2015-292
2014-297
2013-325
2012-288
2011-276....

so my answer is- "around 300"
Thanks for the numbers. I couldn't remember where I could find the statistics. I wonder how many of those are owner-handled? That's impossible to know.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
That OH info wouldn't be on the yearbook. I dk if OH class stats are to be found anywhere, but if they were, it's not likely they'd be truly accurate...

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That OH info wouldn't be on the yearbook. I dk if OH class stats are to be found anywhere, but if they were, it's not likely they'd be truly accurate...
There really is no way of knowing who handled the dog in the show ring. Plus you sometimes see one person handle the dog in a class, then a different person handle the same dog in best of winners, and on from there.

In hunt tests/field trials, handlers are recorded. And also their professional or amateur status is also.

·
the party's crashing us
4,177 Posts
AKC structures the point scale for each breed so they finish "about" the same number a year. Last time I heard I thought it was around 200 CH per breed per year. Obviously very few breeds will actually finish this number, especially the "lowest common denominator" breeds with a 2-3-4-5-6 dogs = 1-2-3-4-5 points, that register fewer than 100 dogs a year, but "theoretically"

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The US is divided up into divisions. Each division has a point schedule based on number of show entries the previous year. Each year AKC adjusts the amount of dogs/bitches required to get 1,2,3,4,5 points. Here's the link to AKC's website on point schedules by division. Then it's by group, then by breed. The number of dogs required is very different from division to division and breed to breed. Conformation Point Schedule - American Kennel Club

In your area it takes 2 dogs or 3 bitches to get 1 point, 7/11 for 2 points, 12/19 for 3 points, 16/26 for 4 points, 25/40 for 5 points.
Here in Alaska it's very different. 2/2 for 1 point, 4/4 for 2 points, 5/5 for 3 points, 6/6 for 4 points, 8/7 for 5 points.
In my area if you are the only breeder of some obscure breed, but you own say 6 dogs of that breed, you could make your own 5 point major depending on the counts for your breed. That's what Anney is referring to I think. Obscure breeds have far more ability to finish what few dogs they have. They do have to pick and choose which shows they go to so they can make a major if they don't own enough dogs of their own to make their own major with their own kennel. And yes there is no rule against creating your own major based solely on your own kennel. It happens all the time up here. You should see how peeved those people get when someone from the states flies up and enters a dog in their breed and they don't win.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts