Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

How often do you feed your dog(s) a meal (not snacks/treats)?

• Once a day, out of schedule convenience.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Once a day, because I think it's healthier/better for the dog.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • Twice a day.

Votes: 105 77.2%
  • More than two times a day.

Votes: 19 14.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many times a day do you feed your dog(s), and why?

I've been feeding my girl twice daily. I know many people feed once daily but I thought it was just out of convenience. However I recently read somewhere that eating all their food in one meal actually helps them digest properly.

I'm sure I'd still end up giving her treats/snacks throughout the day, but should I keep her main food ration split into two meals or combine it into one?

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
I feed twice a day so Ranger doesn't get too hungry or vomit in the middle of the night. He's got a common problem of throwing up bile if he goes too long between meals and his stomach stays empty. Like yesterday; he got breakfast at 6am which is earlier than normal but we were driving for the next 9 hours. Around 4pm, he got the runs (due to eating ice cream, a live crayfish, and something else the day before) so I opted to not give him supper in order to let his stomach/digestive system settle.
He woke me up at 1:30 by puking up bile on the floor. At that point, he was almost 24 hours without eating...no wonder he threw up. I gave him a cookie and he was fine.

So I'm all for the two meals a day camp, even though raw fed dogs (which Ranger is) are 'supposed' to get one big meal a day. Ranger might get a small meal and a bigger meal, or two small meals and a snack, or the odd day he gets a snack in the morning and a big meal in the midafternoon if it's something I can't cut up (like a beef heart or cow tongue).

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
I used to feed two meals a day--but after getting frustrated with my girl's appetite I decided to hold off for one meal to make her hungrier. It has only marginally helped.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
twice a day kibble, God only knows how many snacks.Some he gets on his own, some I use for training, and some , well let's just say my husband likes to share.

·
Kate
21,186 Posts
Twice a day. Because my vet says it is healthier for breeds that are prone to bloat. You do not want a hungry dog to be eating a huge amount of food in one sitting. Besides that, it makes us feel better because we eat three times a day. Why would we make our dog sit there and watch us eat and tell him he has to wait a whole day for his food?

·
Registered
128 Posts
3 times a day. They eat when i eat.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Twice a day. For the exact same reasons that Kate listed.
I've always heard that it's healthier and safer for a dog to eat twice a day, especially those that are at risk for bloat.
And besides, I wouldn't be too happy eating only once every 24 hours, so I don't imagine Riley would be, either.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I've always fed twice a day. Growing up we used to only feed the family dog once a day. I just always thought that was not enough and I wouldn't want to be fed once a day. ;)
Riley gets 1 cup per feeding.

·
Chester's Mommy
2,688 Posts
Chester eats twice a day. It's much better to split his meal up into breakfast and dinner since giving him just one portion would be too much food all at once. Plus...he's a piggie so I doubt he could go 24 hours without having a meal. :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone, sounds like twice a day is good! I definitely agree with the reasoning of "I wouldnt want to eat once a day," but I wanted to make sure I'm not putting her wants before what's actually best/healthiest for her.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
twice a day. I cut back half on the dry as Lola weighed in at 61 pounds last vet vist and she should really be at about 57-58 pounds.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I feed the girls 2 cups twice a day. I feed the boys 1 time a day. The boys eat their entire 5 cups at once. I do think it is better for them to eat once a day but when I feed the girls once a day they leave half of it any way.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Once a day but they do get an Old Mother Hubbard Bacon and Cheese cookie for breakfast.

They go to doggy day care when I go to work four to three days a week and I don't want them to play rough right after eating. So I feed their large meal at night.

Before Max came I used to feed the border collies at night because herding training usually happened in the mornings on weekends and days off and so I didn't want them running on a full stomach.

So to keep a consistent schedule all my dogs have been fed at night after all running around and jumping and playing has ended. They know after food it's quiet time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Both of my dogs get free choice. When they were younger, they couldn't self regulate, so I had to ration it to twice a day, but now, I fill it if its empty and forget about it. sometimes I fill it once a day, sometimes I have to fill it twice. It just depends on how much they want to eat.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I too feed twice a day. If Sadie doesn't eat her morning meal and goes too long without eating she will throw up bile. I sometimes put a little chicken broth on top of kibble to encourage her to eat if we get late in the day and she still hasn't eaten. I feed her at 7:00am and 6:00pm.

Happy New Year to everyone!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Holy cow, I thought our dog ate a lot at 3.5 cups a day.
wow must be nice... I go through 50 pounds of kibble in about two weeks with my two dogs...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts