Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently wrote on my lessons learned, in dealing with a backyard breeder for a puppy that never came to fruition. Now, I'm wondering how many lists to get placed on in waiting for a puppy. I'm currently on two that I know of for sure. One breeder says, "I don't count my chickens before they are hatched." So, since I'm dealing with two breeders that both do not require a deposit to be on a waiting list, it makes it very nice, as they know I'm waiting for a female puppy. I've contacted others by email and haven't heard back yet. I figured I wait till next week after the Thanksgiving and Black Friday is all said and done, before I start calling them. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks~

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
I would go with a breeder you feel comfortable with, who you can see working with for the next 15 years, and then get on that waiting list. In general most breeders will take a deposit so they know you aren't just window shopping, so that sounds a bit odd to me that you have two that don't - how do they know you aren't going elsewhere? The deposit should protect both sides, you have a commitment from the breeder that they will have a pup for you, and they know you are waiting... without the deposit, you can't really be sure you're actually on the list and could be waiting forever.... not always the case, but it can happen.

Lana

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
I also find it strange that a breeder would put you on their waiting list without any kind of deposit. The deposit is what guarantees you a pup from their next litter and shows the breeder that you are actually serious about purchasing a puppy. We put deposits on both of our pups before they were even born. In fact, we just sent our breeder a second deposit today though Paypal for our pup that was just born last week. I feel much more comfortable doing it that way. We send her a payment every couple of weeks or so and then we just pay whatever we still owe her when we go to pick up our pup when he's ready to come home. We did the same thing with Tucker, who came from the same breeder. You may even consider looking into some out of state breeders who either have litters now or are expecting one very soon. You may be surprised when you broaden your search area a bit! :)

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
Isn't there a puppy referal person in your area? When I started looking, first I used the same website that you referred to in another thread. I found a breeder who actually had 2 dams pregnant at the time and one litter on the ground. When I visited her, I didn't feel the 'click' that you need, in my opinion. She was really very nice on the phone and mail, but I walked away (there were some other issues with elbow clearances, too..).
Then I phoned the puppy referal person in Connecticut, and in the end I'm getting a little girl from the litter they have at the moment, which wasn't on that website I had been searching on so diligently! The litter they have at the moment, isn't even listed on their website, because most puppies were already spoken for before the litter was even on the ground. They were cautious with deposits after a certain amount of people, I believe we were the 5th for a girl and we were the last they were going to take a deposit from (for a girl). In the end there were 6 girls and 5 boys !
What I'm trying to say, is that the puppy referal persons of the clubs in your area may have knowledge of litters that you can't find on the internet! And these litters would be with breeders who follow the rules of the GRCA....

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I also find it strange that a breeder would put you on their waiting list without any kind of deposit. The deposit is what guarantees you a pup from their next litter and shows the breeder that you are actually serious about purchasing a puppy. We put deposits on both of our pups before they were even born. In fact, we just sent our breeder a second deposit today though Paypal for our pup that was just born last week. I feel much more comfortable doing it that way. We send her a payment every couple of weeks or so and then we just pay whatever we still owe her when we go to pick up our pup when he's ready to come home. We did the same thing with Tucker, who came from the same breeder. You may even consider looking into some out of state breeders who either have litters now or are expecting one very soon. You may be surprised when you broaden your search area a bit! :)
Many breeders I've spoken with will put you on the list, but require a deposit either 1) after breeding is confirmed or 2) after puppies have been born. So if you are looking for a litter in the future that is how you can be on the waiting list with no deposit. Some breeders do require a refundable deposit before the breeding has taken place, though.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Most breeders I have talked to won't take deposits until it has been confirmed that there are pups. I was on a list for a year and a half waiting for a specific breeding, but finally got impatient waiting (my worst problem - when I decide I want something, I want it now!) so went with a different breeder.

I think they finally just did the breeding that I had been waiting on last week. So they still aren't taking deposits.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The deposits with the two breeders I am on a list for will not be required until the puppies are born. The one breeder encouraged me to get on a couple of lists to have a better chance of getting a puppy. Since I specifically want a female. Both breeders will notify my of puppies birth via email and if I'm first to get my deposit sent in, I get first pick of the female puppies. I thought this way of doing business was resonable. If I send in a deposit before the puppies are born, I feel there really isn't any guarantee that I will get a female, if the outcome were all male puppies. Unless they have ultrasounds or some other form of testing to determine the sex of the puppies before they are born. There really is no 100% guarantee, but more of a crap shoot.

·
Magica Goldens
1,363 Posts
I don't think it's odd that you are on a waiting list w/o a deposit on a puppy. Lots of folks have planned litters that don't happen for some reason - or they end up with puppies not suitable for your home/situation (like the only female puppy is a show pick and you don't want to show your puppy). I don't think the goal here is to be on a bunch of lists though...more is not better and might not actually increase the odds of getting a puppy. Presuming you are talking with reputable breeders in one geographical area they are likely to talk with each other sometimes about potential puppy buyers - so be honest with anyone who has you on their list: "I'm also on so-and-so's list". I'd imagine two lists (max) would cover you. Though it's likely if for whatever reason that breeding doesn't take the breeder will be able to tell you who does have puppies available or a confirmed pregnancy, etc.

Erica

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
we had to put money (a small deposit) to get solid on the list, depending on what number we were requesting that litter became the number we got to pick.

Scout came from a large litter and we were number 3 to select out of 7 boys.
Noah we were not on the list and were talking to the breeder for months and went to visit, and selected him on the visit...I think we picked him out of a group of five.

My understanding is your on the list once your request is solid. I would not put you on my list if you were going between two breeders and might drop off my list. Unless your willing to loose the deposit.

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
There's always a certain amount of intervention by fate/ mother nature, etc in a puppy search. If a mom has 3 pups it is so different from if she has 14; maybe there will be all boys in a given litter, but you wanted a girl. Maybe the breeder wants to watch for a show puppy and wont be able to decide. It's like romance lol, in that there can be commitment issues on one or both sides. It's important to show good character in the puppy choosing process. Once you send a deposit, it is time to stop looking/ take your name off other lists unless you are explicitly honest that you are still undecided. Until then, I think it is okay to show interest in a couple litters that you have researched.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I also find it strange that a breeder would put you on their waiting list without any kind of deposit.
I don't think this is that strange, but it depends on whether or not the buyer has an existing relationship with the breeder. I have been on multiple lists with reputable breeders and never put down a deposit or got a puppy. Once the puppies were born, I had to make a decision quickly, but I've never had a breeder put any pressure on me until the puppies were on the ground and several days old.

I do know others who have had very different experiences, so I guess I'm lucky.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks All,
I'm on two lists and will wait for nature to take it's course. I'm not in a hurry, but my goal is to have a puppy by June 1st. I think that's being reasonable given the fact that I've been looking for one since the end of August.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts