Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have 2 cocker spaniels which I trained with an underground fence. They have just over an acre to roam and we have never had a single problem. I am thinking of training Peyton at 6 months as she seems very smart although a little stubborn at times. The good thing with my system is I can do 5 levels of correction so I can start out mild.

Looking forward to giving Peyton freedom to roam. I currently have a 30' leash when out with her and let her drag it around. If she starts to wonder I can easily grab it and keep her near. She's too fast to chase without it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
We put one in for Annie two weeks ago at 4 months, and she did great! We have the Invisible Fence brand and they actually help with the training.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
We put in one when Hank was around 10 months old. I'm sure he could have been trained younger but it took me that long to convince my husband to install it. I believe the size requirement is by weight (5 lbs?), not age.

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
We put it in when Tess was 4 months old. The company helped with the training. There was no problem at all.

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
I also have the Invisible Fence brand we Gable started training at three months. He got it after about 15-20 minutes and has had no problem since. Doesn't need the collar and never tests the boundaries. I am going to add another collar for my new puppy and she will start training at about the same point.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The guy who installed my fence said he recommends 12 weeks and must sit/stay. well my girl was 9/10 weeks and she figured it out very quickly. She got zapped twice. After that she would hear the beep and either backup or stop. My last dog was older.. 10 years or so before i got the fence. The fence on my two acres in Montana is an underground one and the one in Washington is an 'invisible fence' with a transmitter and no wires in the ground... Both work equally well.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I have one (and love it). The youngest one was probably 4-5 months when I trained her.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I'm going to start training Peyton tomorrow as she is almost 5 months old. When taking her out I've made a conscious effort to keep her within the underground fence boundaries. The other day I unhooked her leash on the deck and one of our cockers saw the neighbors out and went running and Peyton followed. By the time I got around the house and found her, she was sitting right on the property line watching the neighbors. Smart dog and I'm not expecting any problems training her.

I'm off 8 out of the next 10 days and can spend good time training her. My other dogs loved training and got excited when I put the collars on. I plan on doing several short sessions each day as that worked with my other dogs. Make it fun and business as usual and she won't even know that it's to contain her.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Peyton's first session went well. Her cliff notes of underground fence training

"bite flag, get treat"

No shock for first few days just beeps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts