Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Esquire Golden Retrievers
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone asked me how many Golden Retrievers there are in America. It came up in a discussion of the Top 20 GRs, and this person wanted to know out of how many. And not just how many show dogs, but how many Goldens in the whole country.

I have no idea. I'm not sure it's knowable. But I thought I'd ask.

Thoughts?

·
<><><><><>
2,639 Posts
Likely impossible to calculate. As of 2011, there were an estimated 78.2 million owned dogs (a majority are likely mutts) in the US. In 2006, the AKC registered 42,962 Goldens. Based on that, I would assume there are somewhere between 500,000 - 750,000 living registered Goldens in the US. What percentage of Goldens are registered with the AKC?

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,510 Posts
The best you could do is an educated guess. Approximately 50,000 registered per year, times the average life span. That of course would not include the goldens who were never registered by their owners. So you would have to factor those into your estimate as well.

·
Esquire Golden Retrievers
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My guess is that unregistered Goldens are by far the majority. Even in Gibbs' litter -- which is a litter by a reputable breeder who encourages registration -- none of the owners of the pet puppies have registered their dogs, only the show homes (me and the breeder) have. And this breeder really encourages registration and makes it easy. How many puppies from back yard breeders, large kennels, puppy mills, and "Hey, we both have Goldens, let's breed them," go unregistered. And obviously, the puppies from every unregistered Golden in the country can't be registered, so that's even more.

I think the registered ones would be a small percentage, but it's just a guess.

·
Professional Member
1,548 Posts
I would guess registered ones to be a tiny percentage, maybe even less than 1%, it's very hard to make an accurate estimate

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
<><><><><>
2,639 Posts
My guess is that unregistered Goldens are by far the majority. Even in Gibbs' litter -- which is a litter by a reputable breeder who encourages registration -- none of the owners of the pet puppies have registered their dogs, only the show homes (me and the breeder) have. And this breeder really encourages registration and makes it easy. How many puppies from back yard breeders, large kennels, puppy mills, and "Hey, we both have Goldens, let's breed them," go unregistered. And obviously, the puppies from every unregistered Golden in the country can't be registered, so that's even more.

I think the registered ones would be a small percentage, but it's just a guess.
Isn't it typically the breeder's responsibility to register the pups before they go to their new homes?

·
<><><><><>
2,639 Posts
I would guess registered ones to be a tiny percentage, maybe even less than 1%, it's very hard to make an accurate estimate

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
It has to be higher than that, otherwise there would be approx 50 million purebred Goldens in the US out of 78 million owned dogs.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Interesting question! Maybe one of the vets on the list can calculate what percentage of Goldens are in their practice and go from there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts