Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm new to the forum. I'm considering Westben Goldens for our new puppy. Both the sire and dam have all four clearances with good rating on hips. Hips done on the mom in 2011(I think that is okay, it's only done once right?)

My question is the great grandparents? They do not list eye or elbow clearances on most of them. Does that mean they failed or it wasn't done? How would I know if they failed? Is it important to worry about the great-grandparents having all four health clearances?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
10,514 Posts
Hips and elbows are only done once, after age 2. Elbows were not commonly done until the early 2000's, I think. My boy was born in 1991, so his hips were done in 1993. His elbows were not done until 2002. If he had not been used a number of times, I might not have bothered with hips since he was no longer being bred and he was 11, so age related wear and tear was a concern.

So, I would definitely expect to see elbows on dogs who born in the 2000's and probably those born in the late 90's as well.

Heart and eye clearances are not always listed with OFA, unfortunately, which can make it hard to look at depth of clearances.

You can always ask the breeder about clearances in the background and he may be able to fill in some of the blanks.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
it is nice to have as many relatives with clearances, while there is a vet consensus that HD is genetic it is quite hard to pin point(genetic, environmental or nutrition). You can have dogs with generations of good and excellent hips and still produce offspring with the disease.
You can have a Pennhip done as early as 4 months old and later you can have the OFA ratings on your pup so you will have an idea of what your pup will need as far as nutrition and exercise.
I see that you are in VA and the breeder is in NC. Have you met the breeder, met the dogs on the premises including the mother? What is your first impression?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Linda. Do you feel I am worrying too much since parents and grandparents check out, but the great grandparents are missing things elbow, heart, eye?

Good to know about elbow starting in 2000s. That eliminates some of the worry about that generation. There is only one missing a heart and two missing eye clearances in the great grandparent line. I didn't check the 4th gen/great-greats.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Claudia. we were planning to go tomorrow to meet. The pups are 14 weeks old. I asked why he still has older pups when I see many breeders send them home around 8 weeks. He said he likes to keep them until a bit older if he's considering keeping a puppy for himself. it made sense to me.

The mother is on the premises. The dad is not. I talked to him on the phone and by email. He seems caring. He was very impressed with the dad dog: champion with grand champion points, hunter and now a family pet.

I didn't do all this research for my first Golden. $1500 is a lot to spend, so I feel I should ask lots of questions. Thanks you everyone for helping me figure out the right questions!

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
excellent, you could actually see if the breeder is willing to consider a pennhip on the pup :)

here is an interesting reading:

Sirius Dog

Reactions: shellbelle

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I see a lot of comments in other posts that the puppies should be raised in the house. I am pretty sure they are raised in his kennel. It is a beautiful clean farm/kennel from the you tube videos and pictures online. Is that bad? I suppose the question would be how they are socialized.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
I personally do not like dogs in kennels. It is one thing if they have outdoor kennels for boarding purposes (which they show they do on the website), but another thing for the pups. I like the pups to experience both indoors and outdoors as much as possible.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
How did the visit with the breeder go?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How did the visit with the breeder go?
He was awesome. His farm was meticulous. He keeps his puppies inside while they are little and then they go to the kennel. I came home with one big beautiful boy. He is mellow and learning very quickly. We've had him a week. He has already learned to sit and be good in his crate. He loves my boys and is learning to retrieve. (He does not love my cats)

I highly recommend WestBen Goldens. I didn't go inside the kennel where the mom was, but we were able to see her from the outside part of the kennel. I wish now I would have gone in. We were there 2.5 hours. I have no doubt the inside was perfect as well. If you look up the kennel on youtube, you can see the grounds. I would have lived there:)

We named him Bodie. He seems like he will be the perfect dog for us. All the health clearances were ok. I looked up the ones on a different website and I was able to find everything.

This is the pic of Bodie he had on his website. He was younger. He's 15 weeks now. I will try to post a new picture...he's gonna be a big boy!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Bodie is a cutie pie! Definitely need more and more pics. Congratulations!

Reactions: shellbelle

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
pics

He is very hard to take pics of .... just won't sit still! :)

Thanks to all of you who helped me. I looked at a lot of bad breeders out there and I was overly skeptical.

Bodie is already spoiled rotten. He enjoys going to my sons baseball practices 3-4 times a week. He gets lots of walks and hugs. Oh...to be a puppy.

PS--he's stinky like urine. He hasn't pee'd in his kennel(only one time and he's had a bath). do boy doggies stink more? Just bathed one day ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
No, boy dogs should not stink like urine. Does he pee a lot? Is this smell new?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
he's been smelly since he the second day he got home. we waited to bath him until the weekend. he smelled great for one day and then stinky again. My husband is wondering if the one time he had an accident in his kennel, maybe it soaked into the plastic. It is a brand new kennel. I can try scrubbing it down.

he does potty a fair amount when we're outside but I think a normal amount for a pup. He holds it all night and for 6 hours during the work day. He gets walks in morning, lunch and evening.

I thought maybe his fur was getting wet when he went potty when he squats.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
I do not mean to scare you but I would personally go to the vet and rule out a bladder or kidney infection.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts