Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

How many different places does you dog sleep in one night?

• My dog is crated at night.

Votes: 22 14.3%
  • My dog is in a kennel at night.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • My dog has one place to sleep and stays there all night.

Votes: 36 23.4%
  • My dog moves around the house at night.

Votes: 28 18.2%
  • 2 places

Votes: 36 23.4%
  • 3 places

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • 4 or more places

Votes: 14 9.1%
  • I have no idea what my dog does at night.

Votes: 4 2.6%

• Total voters
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Most of the time Sam likes to sleep on the bed, next to me, on his back with his legs in the air. He has no shame. He hates it when I occasionally lock him out at night. I bought him a nice doggie bed and a crate but he never sleeps there. Oh well....

·
Registered
24 Posts
:)storm starts off in the kitchen under a stool by the sink..when he wakes he comes into the family room and lays between the 2 sofa in a corner.when we go to bed he goes into the kitchen to his bed..but im sure he does not stay there as i hear him moving around during the night..

·
Opus and Tasha
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
my girls follow me around from room to room. If I'm on the computer, they are close by. If I go to the bathroom, they are.....too close by. If I'm in my recliner, they are always next to it or under it so I have to be very careful when letting the foot thing down. Other wise, on the tile floor or couch - @ night in their crate. Can anyone suggest how to go about letting them sleep out of the crate. I mean I just can't go to bed and leave them up, if for nothing else than their safety but the day will come when they should sleep outside the crate and I don't know how to do that. I really don't want them sleeping in our bed - too big and furry and if they sleep in the bedroom they will wake up and try to jump on the bed. KD wines @ night or when she doesn't get attention. Anyone?
Our neighbor initially crate trained his golden. Then, when she was older and they knew that they could trust her alone in the house when they left for short periods of time he began the process of getting rid of the crate. First he removed the crate door. Out of habit she continued to sleep in the crate every night. Then a few weeks later he removed the upper portion of the crate. Finally, after another few weeks, he removed the lower portionof the crate and alll that remained was the cushion that had always been on the floor of her crate. I suppose that months later the cushion was either removed or replaced. But for the rest of her life each night she chose to return to that spot to sleep.

Might not work for everyone..... but it worked for him.

·
Opus and Tasha
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Monty sleeps on the cool tile floor of the bathroom connected to our bedroom. I haven't given in to him sleeping in our bed yet but every 3 or 4 nights he tries!
In our home night ends and every day begins with a doggie cuddle session in my SO's (significant other) bedroom. Once he falls asleep, the pups leave his bed and move somewhere cooler but by morning they are back and waiting for him to wake up so they can collect that morning ear massage.

The pups have given up trying to climb into my bed. I want to invite them in but because I have dog allergies it is just not allowed. The first several months whenever they tried to climb in with me they were unceremoniously pushed off the bed. Eventually they gave up trying. But when the SO is out of town I find there are usually 2 dogs on the floor beside my bed when I get up in the morning.

·
Opus and Tasha
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Gracie is a real "roamer". Floor, couch, chair .. up stairs or down. Some nights even in her crate. Gracie is 6 and a bit and sometimes goes into her crate on her own accord that we still have set up in our bedroom. Hubby snoring on one side and Gracie breathing/dreaming on the other. Can't get any better than that
A warm snoring body on either side..... you are right... life is good!

·
Opus and Tasha
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
1. his bed in our room
2. floor in the hallway outside room
3. his chair in his room
4. his bed in kitchen
5. sofa in basement
6. his bed in basement.
7. bathroom floor if door is open.

It's a wonder that your poor dog gets any sleep at all... :roflmao:

·
Opus and Tasha
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Dylan & Erica both sleep with us but Frankie moves around you never know where he will end up...... One night he fell asleep in our bathtub and scared the daylight out of me when I had to use the bathroom. But that is our FRANKIE!!!!
:sleeping: In the tub? Now that is funny. But I can see that....

·
Hudson's girl
417 Posts
Hudson generally has 3 places although they are in the same room. Does that count? He will sleep up against the wall until he gets cold. He will hop up on the bed (and take it over. He will only sleep on my side of the bed which means I have learned to mold myself around him). When he gets too hot he will jump down and sleep at the end of the bed on the floor. We have hard wood floors so they keep him cooler when he is too warm. I prefer he sleep in the bed. Uncomfortable or not I just like it.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I think what Tally does is hilarious. I'm glad Finn doesn't do that though. You should get it video taped.
Finn sleeps on his dog bed that is on my side of the bed. During the week day, he stays there until the alarm goes off and we get out of bed. On non work days, he stays on his bed until her hears us stirring. I know he is already up b/c I can hear him licking and yawning, but I try not to move. As soon as I do, he gets up and puts his head on the edge of the bed. If we ignore him, he will most of the time go back to his bed. if we acknowledge him he will get on the bed and get right between us.

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,057 Posts
Our dogs normally start on their pillows in our bedroom and sometimes will head to the futon in my office or onto the bed in the spare room.....except for Reno...once he's alseep, he's asleep!!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Dusty is 9 months - almost 10. I can't WAIT till he doesn't need to be crated. He's smart as a whip but STUBBORN as an ox. I always say he is book smart but has no common sense - haha. So he CHEWS things if he wakes up in the night and realizes that he has free reign. He just doesn't get it that when he DOESN'T chew he DOESN'T get crated.

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Ranger goes to bed usually 3-4 hours before I do and he always goes to sleep in his dog bed in the bedroom until I'm ready for bed. When I turn out the bedroom light, he gets up and waits for me to give him the "ok" before he jumps up to sleep on my bed. He'll sleep there all night unless I move around too much, at which point he jumps off and sleeps on his bed for the rest of the night. So he only has two spots - his bed and my bed.

·
Registered
253 Posts
When I'm going to bed, my dogs usually sleep in or around the bed, sometimes getting up to get a drink or look out the window and just patrol the house to make sure everything is alright, but they always return after a few minutes.

If it's in the middle of the day and they're taking a nap, they'll sleep anywhere close to me, usually the couch or under my feet if I'm on the computer.

My bridge golden, Cody, would sleep smack dab in the middle of the bathroom floor. I'd wake up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and trip over him, one time smacking my head on the toilet seat! I guess he preferred the cool tile on the bathroom floor.

My pet peeve: when a dog is laying in the hallway and don't budge when they hear you shuffling down the hallway. I had a basset hound who was so stubborn and wouldn't move, even one time when there was a sonic boom!

·
& Sawyer's & Quinn's too!
2,740 Posts
Sophie is with us until we go to bed. Then she sleeps with us in the bed. She takes up my whole side, pretty much. My husband actually likes it, 'cause it means we "have" to snuggle! I wake up in the morning, she is glued along side of me, either with her head on the pillow or stretched out on her back with her legs all akimbo.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Soda spends the night laying on ceramic tiles in the front hall -- must like the coolness. Very early morning she will come up on the bed to sleep for a couple more hours.

·
Registered
81 Posts
When I'm getting ready for bed, Charlie comes and gets into his bed, a trundle bed next to my bed. The minute I turn the lights out and settle in bed, he immediately gets up and leaves the room to lie in the hallway facing away from my open door. If I was to walk out my bedroom door, I'd trip on his butt right on the door frame. No interest in facing me. Haha. It is a cool tile floor. It's like clockwork and always makes me chuckle. I have NO IDEA when he comes back in, but I've never woken up in the morning and not had him back on his trundle bed (on his back, legs sprawled open, fast asleep--- he's not a morning guy). Then I go get ready for work. When I come back he's fast asleep in his kennel, which is in the hallway near where he starts the night. Sometimes he'll sleepily shuffle into the kitchen and sleep at my feet while I have breakfast, but many mornings he stays asleep in his open kennel. Getting him to go out and potty before I leave is the tricky part. My dog just doesn't do mornings!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Murphy slept on the foot of our bed until she was about 5. Then she started sleeping on the bathroom tile because it was cooler.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts