Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

How many different places does you dog sleep in one night?

• My dog is crated at night.

Votes: 22 14.3%
  • My dog is in a kennel at night.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • My dog has one place to sleep and stays there all night.

Votes: 36 23.4%
  • My dog moves around the house at night.

Votes: 28 18.2%
  • 2 places

Votes: 36 23.4%
  • 3 places

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • 4 or more places

Votes: 14 9.1%
  • I have no idea what my dog does at night.

Votes: 4 2.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Opus and Tasha
3,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that do not crate your dogs at night:

My SO wanted me to ask this question. Do your dogs move around at night and sleep in different locations?

For example:

In a typical evening both dogs will stay with me. If I'm working in the office they are asleep under the computer table. If I am watching television they are in the family room with me either under or behind my chair.

When I go to bed Bob will go into the kitchen and settle down on the cool tile floor. Sometimes, in the middle of the night Jeff will find Bob sleeping in the master bedroom bathroom. And by the time Jeff wakes up in the morning Bob is in Jeff's bed, sleeping at the foot of the bed.

Natasha may stay in the kitchen with Bob for a few minutes or she will go into Jeff's bedroom and stretch out on 'her' side of the bed. At some point during the night she moves to the family room sofa. But by morning, she is always in Jeff's bed, usually sleeping at the head of the bed.

Because I have allergies, they never sleep in my bedroom or bed ... although in the morning they wait outside my bedroom for me to make an appearance.

SO.... in a normal night our dogs will sleep in at least 3 different locations throughout the house.

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
Mine pretty much stay in the room Im in until its bed time, then they go to the bedroom and stay there all night.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Mine alternate between the bed and the floor when they get too warm. Dillon tends to sleep in one spot all night on the bed... Sam is usually the one who goes back and forth.

·
Owned by Emma
727 Posts
Well, Emma usually starts with our bed, if she feels too hot she moves on the floor or near the bed where she has a bed set up for her, but she always sleeps nearby. Last night she left the bed to cool off a bit but she returned and brought the only ball with a bell inside she has. Needless to say I thought I had got rid of that ball the night before (same drill) but I kept hearing the bell each time one of us moved. So I knew she must be in bed, too.

·
Lucy & Dory's Mom
2,760 Posts
Lucy alternates between the bed and the floor too. She prefers to sleep in the bed unless she's hot, but she doesn't like for either of us to move at all. Honestly, the bed's not big enough for two adults and a grown golden (we only have a full sized bed). However, we do get comfy and cozy at times.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
Mine sleep in two places. They both start out on the wood floor next to my side of the bed.
Gunner stays there most of the night. I have to feel my way over him when I go to the bathroom. : )
Selka eventually goes in the den , right next to our room, and sleeps spread out , on the couch.
Sometimes, Gunner goes in the living room and sleeps on the couch. He barks at times when he sees a shadow or hears any noise outside. Then by morning he's back by my side of the bed.
When Dad leaves for work, they let me know it's time to EAT!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Kylee just sleeps on the floor in our bedroom on my wife's side of the bed. She may shuffle back and forth 4 or 5 feet but always on that side. Which I'm always suprised as she is very much a daddy's girl.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
In winter they both sleep on the bed all night long. In warmer weather they both start in the bed then sleep on the floor til the alarms goes off then they jump back on the bed for belly rubs.

·
Shameless and Proud
2,305 Posts
moxie...

starts in her bed ends up on my feet. Then gets under the covers with me, then if I have company will sleep in between whoever is with me. Sometimes that's the end of it and you wake up with the dog in between you head on the pillow, but sometimes if she's unhappy moxie gets back up and goes to sleep with one of my roommates. where she does the same type of movements. She likes to get to everyone.

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
With three dogs I did not fill in the poll as all are different.

Keeper - she will move from her dog bed to the cool wod floor and back during the night.
Lucy - She stays in one place on the rug on my wife's side of the bed.
Oriana - There is NO spot in the room she does not use during the night. Our bed, Keeper's bed, Lucy's bed, wood floor, carpet and of course various spots in "our" bed.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Up at the lake, Jasper spends the night in bed with me. Danny tries, too. But there is only so much room in a double bed with two big dogs. So usually I ask Danny to get down and he does. Until Jasper decides to get down and immediately Danny will jump up.

At home, they play musical beds (dog beds) all night long. I just today had carpeting laid in the hallway and our bedroom where we used to have laminate floors. I could not sleep through all the click, click, click all night long.

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
I get annoyed if they get up and walk around- it wakes me up. Sometimes one will get a drink, that's okay- but if they walked around a lot it would irritate me. I have never had a dog that would leave my room at night, they want to be with me. Rig sleeps in the bed. He changes positions now and then, and RARELY will get down and sleep on the floor if I accidentally roll onto him in my sleep or something lol, but he gets back up ten minutes later. Epic sleeps on a dog bed on the floor, and he never moves at all... or in a crate, same deal. Francine isn't trustworthy, she sleeps in a crate.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Tysen will either sleep in my bed or his crate with door open..man does he love that crate (when he goes in there on his own!)

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
I keep my two in my room with me. Fergus starts on my bed, moves to the bathroom floor then ends up on his bed by morning. Lily mainly stays on her bed, but occasionally moves to the wood floor if she gets warm.

·
2,472 Posts
the Pud either sleeps next to me in my bed all night, snoring softly on her pillow next to mine (I know, I know...) or she starts the night in her big psychedelic flower armchair and then moves to my bed toward morning.

She's always in my bed when I wake up. When she thinks it's time to get up, she puts her nose right next to my ear and sighs and breathes in a very afflicted manner. She wants to make sure she doesn't miss that magic moment when I softly murmer, "okay", upon which she explodes out of the bed wagging and laughing and begins to order breakfast.

·
Too addicted to this site
265 Posts
Roxy sleeps on our bed, on Jonny's side usually. He rarely has any covers when I inevitably have to get up in the middle of the night, and is usually clinging on to the edge whilst Roxy sprawls comfortably. :--smirk:She stays there until we wake up the next morning.

Fred sleeps in his crate, and I'm not sure if he'll sleep up with us in the future to be honest. I don't know why but Roxy was never happy being left down stairs at night when she was a pup, but Fred is perfectly happy. If he's happy down stairs, and it means we get more bed space he'll probably stay there.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Crockett sometimes gets up on the bed with us at night. we play and or fall asleep. If we fall asleep and forget to put him in his crate, Illl wake up and he'll be standing by the bed looking at me as if to say, I'm ready to go to bed now. He goes in and I close the gate. If I dont close it He eventually comes out and stands by the bed again. If I dont put him in the crate he will sleep on the floor but not peacefully like in his crate

·
Premium Member
16,405 Posts
Finn starts out at the foot of the bed. Then, after about an hour he gets too warm, hops down, and goes to his own huge chair by the window. Tango starts out on her dog bed but sneaks on to Finn's place at our feet the second its empty.Tally snuggles as close to putting his head on a pilliow as allowed and stays there, conked out, until 5 amish when breakfast occurs to him and he starts his face-kissing campaign. If ignored, he jumps off the bed pitterpatters down to the kitchen, and then patters back to the bed to plunk his dish on a person. It is very obnoxious but cute.

·
Registered
12,189 Posts
Emmy sleeps at the foot of the bed on my side. In the winter she may move between my husband and me. Gambler starts on the bed and then gets on the floor and later comes back to the bed. It is cold now so we'll see what he does in the summer.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts