Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Joy
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. Cooper, my golden mix, is three months old this week. Whenever we try to take him on walks he tries to play tug of war with his leash and he likes to bite at our legs. Even after a long strenuous walk, within 30 seconds of being home he will go after us and try to bite us.
When will he start behaving while on his leash and when will all lunging/biting at us stop?

Don't worry, I'm not at my wits end, I'm just curious and trying to learn as much as possible. We start puppy classes tonight. :crossfing

·
Faux Wanda
1,528 Posts
Your puppy is adorable.

I opened this thread expecting to find a dog in need of a job, agility, hunting, etc.

The behavior that you describe is not really hyper. Puppy classes should be very helpful with some of these behaviors. Make sure to let your instructor know of your specific issues so that you can work on those behaviors while still training.

good luck.

·
Registered
145 Posts
This sounds like typical puppy behavior to me. Plenty of playtime (including off-leash time) along with training should help with the behavior you're seeing.

At 7 1/2 months, Kirby still does this once in awhile, and I've found that some "rough play" (tug-of-war etc) or a play date with another dog before his walks helps to wear him out some. I think a lot of it is excess energy that needs to be released to get him in a calmer state.

Another thing that we do that might help, is "Nothing in Life is Free", which means he has to do something whenever he wants something - sit to be petted, sit and stay for meals, sit to be leashed, and sit and stay while the door is opened etc.

·
Registered
252 Posts
How adorable!!!
Okay, if you read my first few threads I ever wrote it was when Gabbar was around your fur baby's age and younger. Exactly the same. He's just being a typical land shark puppy. Trying to play with you how puppies play with each other. What solved this was the following: ignoring or leaving him for a time out when he does this at home or on walks, getting him play dates at least three times a week ( also helps with teaching bite inhibition) and hard rubber toys to work his teeth on. He's teething... Poor munchkin ...

·
Registered
137 Posts
ah 3 months....this was the stage when DH wanted nothing to do with the little rascal anymore. The same time when he thought his life ended and it was just going to be all about keeping the puppy occupied ALL THE FREAKING TIME! :bowl:

He is now 8 months and my husband ADORES him now--so much that he wants another puppy!:no: :no: :no: His words exactly: "Well I know now that it will just be 2-3 months of hell, not forever". :no: :no: He has gone a long way. Most of those are somewhat normal puppy behavior. Not sure if the training was what worked best or that he just outgrew them or both. It gets much better starting 4.5 months...at least from our experience.

Your golden mix is TOO CUTE btw!

·
Registered
640 Posts
Another thing that we do that might help, is "Nothing in Life is Free", which means he has to do something whenever he wants something - sit to be petted, sit and stay for meals, sit to be leashed, and sit and stay while the door is opened etc.
This strategy has helped a ton with us, I think. Definitely good advice!

For leash-biting, sometimes it would help us to spray bitter apple on the leash. It would deter the biting usually (but not always!).

Puppy class will really help! It sure helped us!!

·
Registered
250 Posts
You probably have a case of standard pup behavior. Your training will help a lot especially if you tell the teacher your concerns.YOur pup is so cute! Good luck!!!

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
8 years and still counting.;) Seriously though, you are in the early stages of puppy craziness--give it some time, keep him occupied, train him and things should calm down in a year or so. He is adorable by the way.:)

·
Joy
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks for all of the encouragement, people! My husband and I took Cooper to class last night and we learned "sit" and "heel".
The teacher noticed Cooper biting and pulling on the leash, so he put a chain slip collar on Cooper. I am borrowing the collar and this morning on our walk Cooper only tried to bite my legs once and every time he grabbed the leash with his mouth, I said "No" and he dropped it.

This morning was encouraging. I am impressed with his progress and hoping for continued improvement! ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts