Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boomer very near 6-months, in my possession nearing about a month. Royal Canin puppy, has had occasional 'soft' stools but most of time, excellent. Last Friday, 3 days ago, pretty soft/diarrhea. Vet's office recommended a bland diet (gal answering phone) of rice and chicken. Which I have adhered to, but still very soft stool. Seems like doctors, no one talks to anyone other than nurses and phone people, and wonder what next. There was some mention of a stool analysis/sample being brought in, but appears animal medicine has gone the route of people medicine. Any suggestions. BTW, Boomer seems no worse, health-wise, energy-wise, nor demeanor. It's likely something he put in his mouth as I'm very fussy about cleanliness, etc.

·
Kristy
10,245 Posts
Make an appointment with a new vet if you're not pleased with the customer service you're receiving at your current vet. Take your dog and a stool sample in and speak to the new vet face to face. Find out exactly what they are testing for. Eliminate all treats and extra food except for the prescribed diet and see how he does. Keep a log of what he eats and when and exactly when he has problems with stools. It will be helpful.

The stress of moving to a new home may have triggered some underlying bacteria in his body that normally wouldn't give him a problem.

·
Registered
13,483 Posts
I don't really know what you mean by animal medicine has gone the route of people medicine. To me, it sounds like you need a new vet. Find one, bring him in. The first thing my vet would do would be a fecal on a pup with diarrhea for several days. It could be parasites, an infection of some kind, anything.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't really know what you mean by animal medicine has gone the route of people medicine. To me, it sounds like you need a new vet. Find one, bring him in. The first thing my vet would do would be a fecal on a pup with diarrhea for several days. It could be parasites, an infection of some kind, anything.

I lost my wife of 52 years to cancer 7 months ago. Medicine has lost much of the doctor/patient relationship and responsibility is spread among so many disciplines that it's impossible to truly determine the responsible or tending physician. But this not the place for a rant nor this discussion. All is well, I took a fecal sample in myself, met a new vet and is very, very pleased with the 'dogside' manner and concern he displayed. End of story. For the previous post, no, this is new. Boomer has been with me long enough so that he's acclimated to me, his environment, and his stools have been picture perfect (sorry for the metaphor). I always am concerned about what enters his mouth, which could be almost anything but that's an exaggeration as I am on constant vigil to make sure I am watching him when he's on leash. Sure brings me back to yesteryear, raising three children. LOL.

Thanks, will get fecal test results today I was told.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts