Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find a treadmill for Murphy to use on rainy days, but I want to make sure that it is long enough. I saw that the dog whisperer says that this is a good substitute for outside exercise, but I can't help but wonder if a full grown golden would be able to fit on one unless it is extra long. I think that Murphy will be about 100lbs. when full grown. (His dad was huge)! So, how long are your goldens at adult age?

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Though I have never put my dogs on a treadmill I would thing most of them would work for a golden. Goldens may be longer than a human but we have much longer legs so I think that would cancel out.

On a cautionary note please remember Cesar had a very bad experience with a treadmill so you must NEVER leave your golden unattended while on the treadmill.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I don't remember the details, possibly someone else may know......but I have read that you should not use a regular treadmill for a dog. they said there are regular dog treadmills. I really hope someone who knows more about it can add to this post. Wish I could remember what exactly was said.:uhoh:

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
We used our regular treadmill for Bennett. He was 95 lb.
The actual walking surface is 54 inches long. The emergency stop cord is long enough that I would clip it to his collar - not that I would ever leave him alone on it. He learned that it would give three warning beeps prior to start up, so he would get in walking position.

I prefer that the side be open, as opposed to the closed sides on the official dog treadmills. It gaves him the opportunity to jump off if he is tired before I recognize the signs. I've also been told that hair will be an issue, but ours is 11 years old and still working fine.

My vet didn't want us using it for more than a few minutes a day when Bennett was a puppy.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone. I will be looking for one that is around 50-54 inches minimum then.
And I won't leave him alone or walking more than a few minutes to start with. I figure I will be able to determine how much time he needs as he gradually increases speed, time, and age.

·
16,000 Posts
If using a human treadmill, the belt must be extra long - at least 6 feet. The stride of a Golden is much longer than that of a human, even given that our legs are longer. Using too short a belt will cause short striding, which can lead to injury.

·
16,000 Posts
From FAQ's on Jog A Dog

What happens if I run my dog on a treadmill of improper length?
Exercising your dog on a treadmill of improper length will constrict the dog's movement by shortening its stride. This may result in a peculiar gait. JOG A DOG has created four treadmill sizes designed to meet the exact exercise requirements necessary to accommodate any size dog. Please keep in mind, just because a dog can trot on a treadmill, does not mean the treadmill is the most appropriate size. Dogs need room to "float" back and forth to trot naturally and to encourage the dog to reach and extend. Likewise, as they tire, they need room to fall behind.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts