Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to get everyone's opinion on how many hours during the day that I could leave a 9-week old puppy in the crate? Is 3 hours pushing it too much?

We are getting the puppy later this month @ 7 weeks old and I am normally home 24/7, as I work from home full time. However, there is one day where I am required to be away from home during the day for 12 hours for just one day. My Mom (who lives 10 minutes away) has agreed to take care of the puppy from 6-9am, return at noon and stay for 30 minutes and then return again at 3pm and stay with the puppy until I arrive home.

Is this too young to have him in the crate for 3 hours at a time? Also, should I automatically assume that he will have an accident being left for that time period?

PS: The reason why I'm away the one day is for a "mandatory" work holiday party. I almost want to fake an illness so I don't have to leave my new baby! ::(

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
I work outside the home and when we got Coop I knew we couldn't crate him for all day. We put up an x-pen to block off the kitchen and put his crate in there with a towel & toys, of course water & piddle pads. I had a caretaker come in at noon to feed and take he and Kye outside for fun, noon meals, potty time then back into the pen until we got home. By 3 mo we installed gates to the den, made it puppy proof, and the dogs stay there until we get home. They both sleep in their crates with the doors open and we have doggie doors to an outside area to potty in. When bedtime, both go into their crates and doors shut. With travel time we are gone over 10 hrs and just way too long to expect either dog to stay in a crate. Again, this is working for us with two young dogs.

Reactions: Charlie's Mom NJ

·
Registered
586 Posts
If you plan to crate him at night, then let that timing be your guide. When he wakes you to go out at night, if you get a three hour stretch between outings, then he should be fine. When we first got Maya at 8 weeks, about three hours was her limit. The time gradually increased as she got older. Since it sounds like only one day, and one event, I wouldn't even worry about an accident happening. You should make sure his crate has a divider, or can be partitioned off to just give him enough room to turn around, since most pups don't want to soil where they sleep. Welcome to the forum--can't wait to see some pics of your new pup!

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
In only two weeks I doubt you will have time to get him used to being in the crate alone for 3 hours, so if there is someplace you can gate him in, a bathroom even, and just expect some accidents on that day, I think it would be better than making him hate the crate. A crate is your best friend but it takes some time to get the pups to adjust to being in there alone.

·
Davina
392 Posts
I have my pup (who was born oct 3 so just a few days before your pup) locked in our guest bathroom at night. she goes about 2 hour stretches at night between waking up and wanting to go out to go potty. so I am thinking your little guy being in the crate for 3 hours wont be a big deal. He may get a little upset and cry a bit but he should be fine since it sounds like it is going to only be 1 time. How excited are you to get your new puppy by the way? EAK! once you get your new puppy you should head over to http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/goldens-born-2011/106089-goldens-born-octoberber-2011-a.html#post1577224 <--- that thread and join in on the October pups thread

·
Registered
189 Posts
We got Peyton at 8 weeks old and our neighbor would let her out at noon so she was in there 4-5 hours at a time. I guess she would usually fart around outside before going and didn't act like she was hurting. Within 10 days of bring her home she stopping whining at night to be let out and would sleep all night. I think how long they can hold it at night would be a good guess how long during the day (with no water in the crate).

·
Dog Lover for Life
220 Posts
I think for that one day it will be ok. But also the pup first has to get used to the crate (that can take from right away to a week) make sure the crate is not too big for the pup (lots of new crates have deviders that can move with the growth of the pup)
Good luck

·
Registered
15 Posts
Our pup is 10 weeks now and we got her at just over 7 weeks. We both work outside the home and try to get home every 3 hours or so but sometimes it has been as long as 5 hours if our schedules are busy. So far, she has not had any accidents in her crate during the day (and only once at night).

She cried a ton in the crate the first few days, but now she accepts it quite well. We have a large crate with a divider but we actually took the divider out just a few days ago and she's kept up the good work.

I am envious that you get to be home with your baby - I miss mine like crazy when I have to go to work! Enjoy and good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts