Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Missing Molly
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is the right place to post this. I am sending my foster application into the local golden rescue shelter and I was wondering how long it usually takes to be approved or denied. I know it may take a long time for us as they want to meet with everyone who lives here. My son and my husband both have jobs that keep them out of town. It could actually be months before we are all together again. But I just wondered what the usual time frame was running. I am anxious to get started.;)

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Don't get discouraged if it takes a while. I think that it took approximately 2 months for me to be totally approved. Mainly because they had to do a home visit and the rule back then was that you had to have two people do the home visit. Plus I had a psycho dog back then and I am sure they were worried about which dog to bring to the home visit. It went well and we were off and running. Literally. Back to back fosters for the first 2 years until I asked for a break.

Make sure to ask for a break and don't feel guilty if you do! Otherwise, you can seriously burn out.

Thanks for offering to foster! You will find it very rewarding.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Mine was actually very quick. I signed up on Saturday and they called my vet on Monday morning by 9 am. Checked my home out that week. But my experience might have been different because I had been meeting with them at events for about a year.

·
Missing Molly
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am really excited about the whole thing. I appreciate your answers. Thank for for letting me know what it was like for you.

·
Registered
582 Posts
For me, it went fairly quickly. It is a regional rescue, but I live quite a ways away from the headquarters and core group. Much was done over the phone. I know they carefully checked my references and my vet, but allowances are made for situations like yours. It helped a great deal that one of my references was someone heavily involved in another breed rescue who had been at my home. Once I got approved, it was more the fact that is was in the middle of winter and the weather was absolutely horrid that held up my first foster. From then on it's as fast and furious as you want it to be. Fostermom is right. Do ask for a hiatus if you need one. I have ended up with one hour turnarounds between adoption and new foster. It can be an emotional roller coaster.

It might take awhile, but don't be surprised if it's faster than you think!

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
It was probably a few weeks for us

It probably took a few weeks for us to get our Smooch!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts