Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a two year old golden. I am thinking of letting her graduating from her crate. She can hold her poo for as long as 11 hours if she is in her crate. So I let her stay outside her crate yesterday, when we got home (it was about 11 hours), guess what? There was a huge pile of loose poo on our carpet! Does this mean she has to be crated all her life??? I don't want that!

Help?:confused:

·
Registered
154 Posts
That doesn't mean she has to be crated forever. First off, 11 hours is a long time I think, especially if it's the first time you've tried it. 2nd, the fact that it was loose might suggest she was having a bit of an upset stomach. 3rd, I believe that our 6 yr old would hold out for much longer than that if needed (but we wouldn't test that idea).

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Did she eat right before you left? Did you leave food out for her? If you are letting her stay out of her crate, then after you feed herbefore you leave, you have to make sure she poos outside. If she did, and she did have these loose stools, she might be feeling alittle bit of a belly ache...can't blame her for not waiting.

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
First off, this is not the dog's fault. If this is the first time that you have left her out of her crate home alone for an extended period of time, then I would not be surprised to see a mess - especially after 11 hours. She could have been nervous or scared that you weren't there when she was free in her crate, or as someone else mentioned, the fact that it was loose could be a sign of an upset tummy or another medical problem.

Our 10 month old has had free reign of the house since about 6 months old and only once have we come home from work (9 hours) to an accident of his. To graduate her from the crate, I would start with small periods of time for her to get used to being 'free' and alone, say 1 hour for a few days in a week, and then up to 3 or 4 hours for a few days and work your way up to 8-9 hours. I wouldn't leave her alone for more than that amount of time.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I have a two year old golden. I am thinking of letting her graduating from her crate. She can hold her poo for as long as 11 hours if she is in her crate. So I let her stay outside her crate yesterday, when we got home (it was about 11 hours), guess what? There was a huge pile of loose poo on our carpet! Does this mean she has to be crated all her life??? I don't want that!

Help?:confused:
Almost forever if they have to. Murphy hated to poop at the boarding kennel. When I brought him home, he would make 3 big poops in a row. I swear he hadn't pooped in 2-3 days. My current boy, Rocky, didn't poop for 2 days when we went to the beach. The rental had a fenced in yard but it was all concrete and mulched beds. It took him a couple days before he found a suitable spot to go.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
11 hours is a long time. It could be soft from trying to hold it for such a long time.Also the stress of being out and not in the safe place could have caused it. If you are going to be gone a long time like that, then I would see if a dog walker or neighbor can come in and let him out. What is your routine for feeding, going outside to go thru the bathroom and playing like before you leave?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I don't think 11 hours of holding poo is too long, it is not good for health. (I guess the concept is just like human beings) I would recommend you to try letting her out a couple of times so she don't poo inside the house. Good luck!

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
11 hours in a crate, poor thing! But dogs can really hold it for a long time. After her surgery Flora didn't poop for 2 days...

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
I am very saddened at the thought of a dog in a cage for 11 hours. I think the ONLY thing that it absolutely proves is that your dog does need to poo during the 11 hour stint but undestandably doesnt want to sit in its feces all day long. The dog has the choice of sitting in poo for the day or holding it in for an uncomfortable length of time. It is no suprise a poo was waiting for you when the dog had the choice to get away from it.

This is where I take issue with crates. For a dog to have to sit in one for 11 hours is a complete abuse of them. Hopefully the 11 hour thing was a one off!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts