Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long, on average, can an adult Golden hold it (think bathroom) during the day?

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
Im interested to hear too.....

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Mine have held it for 15 hours at times (when they aren't interested in a late night potty trip, and I sleep in on days off work). And even then, they still act like they want their breakfast before going out to potty.

I'm actually about to post another related thread about this too..

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
My guys often go 12 hours overnight and 10 hours during the day if I can't make it home for lunch. If I'm working from home they can hold it for about 30 minutes without having to ask to go outside. :p:

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
My guys often go 12 hours overnight and 10 hours during the day if I can't make it home for lunch. If I'm working from home they can hold it for about 30 minutes without having to ask to go outside. :p:

LMAO this sounds about right.... if I'm home they're bugging me to go out every second! Silly pups!

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Curious myself. I might need to leave my pup home for 8+ hours and wondered if it would be okay to do so.

Mine are at home for 9 hours when I'm at work, and they are just fine! Again, they are way more interested in dinner when I get home than pottying :doh:

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Tucker can hold it for hours. I work from home and usually take him out about 4 times a day right around the same times every day. Two of those times, we go on long walks/jogs. He always knows when it's time to go out. If I'm late, he lets me know! If I'm in the middle of working and I ignore him for a bit, he goes whining to DH if he's home. He has absolutely no problem holding it for 10-12 hours at night until we get up in the morning and he has access to water all night. I can't wait until Tyson can hold it for that long. :bowl:

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Mine are at home for 9 hours when I'm at work, and they are just fine! Again, they are way more interested in dinner when I get home than pottying :doh:
Hm, that's good to know. I've been freaking out over what to do w/Flora while I'm gone in the swamps of New Orleans, but maybe she'll be fine by herself. Thanks!

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
I'd be pushing 10-12 hours a day. Probably too long huh?

Every once in a while, I think it would be ok.. but if that would be the schedule every day, I would definitely look into having someone come by mid-day for a potty break. I have left mine that long now and then if I had an errand or appt after work and they've been ok, but 9 hours is usually about the longest they go during the days.

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,080 Posts
My 9 year old can hold it, for what seems eternity......he easily holds it for 9 hours or more.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I know Maggie could hold it for 12+ hours. Haven't been gone that long yet with Hank.

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
We are gone anywhere from 9 to 10 hours a day and Molson has never had an accident in the house. On weekends he has slept in with us really late sometimes, and has held it for about 14 hours without asking to go out.

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
As a regular habit, I don't think any creature should be asked to "hold it" for 10-12 hours. Having a midday potty break would be much kinder.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Some days Vito will hold his pee FOREVER. Easy 10+ hours and I'm taking him out before he is going to the door. Obviously this is not the norm. He goes out usually 3 or 4 times a day, including walks.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
It does depend on the dog. Danny and Jasmine can hold it a lot longer than Jasper can. Jasper needs out at least every 4 hours, 3 is preferable. Danny and Jasmine can go 8-10, not that we ask them to, but they just have more capacity than Jasper.

·
Dog Lover for Life
220 Posts
We have a doggy door because when went to Germany a few years ago the dogs would have been home alone for12 h and my Hubby works too far away to come home during Lunch time. Bogart would have been okay, even though I can't hold it for 12 h straight during the day. But ZsaZsa my older dog wouldn't have made it. She goes also out alot during the night these days. They haven't pucked in the house for years and no accidents in the house either while they are awake. ZsaZsa with her 15 years gets incontinent once in a while, she pees while sleeping. She can't help it so I just clean the bed and herself up.
I and the dogs love the doggy door. Bogart loves to hang out in the morning on the patio and lets the world go by.
Elke, ZsaZsa and Bogart

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
All day.

At night? About 2 hours, and it's used as a fake-out so he can get me to open the bedroom gate so he can go play with the ****** cat.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts