Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was at the dog show yesterday I noticed how short the goldens nails were; some looked almost painfully short. I suspect Tucker's are a bit too long, as I have been a wuss trimming them ever since I cut one to the quick and the nail was spurting blood. I now just trim of a little bit off the tips. I have vowed to do it weekly until I get them shorter. He does not click too much on our wood floors, only when excited, so they are not horrendously long. His nails are as black as can be, so seeing the quick is very difficult. Just curious how short everyone keeps them.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
The more you trim them ( little bits at a time), the more the quick recedes into the nail and the shorter they can be. I've been trying to do a little bit every week on my crew but much easier said than done!!!

·
Griff's a Muffin Thief!
3,165 Posts
Not short enough - thanks for reminding me - I need to cut them - at leaset he's a better boy for it now - it took forever for him to get that way.:doh: I try to do his when I do my own. LOL I'm terribly forgetful with things like that. If you keep them short enough so that you don't here clickity clack on the floors you're doing a good job. IMHO

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
I try to keep them short, but I have been going slowly at it with a puppy and they haven't been as short as I would like. I was using the dremel, but just switched to clippers and with a wiggly puppy I was able to get them trimmed down more.

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
Mine are super short. So short that the trimmed hair on their paws completely covers them for the most part.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Gilmours stay nice and tight because I let his breeder take care of them on his Saturday visits :)

Dakota was never much of a problem. He didn't have fast growing nails.

Now Comet. OMG Comet's Nails. I've NEVER seen a dog with nails like Comet's.

One of his Nicknames was "Wolverine" LOL

Seriously folks, in a 2 month period, this boys nails could grow to an Inch long if I didn't keep up with them. He could actually hook them around my finger like a bird LOL

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Hank's seem to stay pretty short since we have a large brick patio our back that he plays on. He's also a digger. I've been working with a Dremel on him, at this point I only have to trim the dewclaws.

I never seemed to keep Maggie's short enough, I always heard her click-click on the vinyl & wood floors.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Pretty short--I need to Dremel them and probably will do it tomorrow. The standard calls for medium sized feet, round, compact and well knuckled--splayed feet are a fault. If your golden is loosing traction due to those long nails, those nice feet can start to spread apart--you don't want that!

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
Gunner's nails stay short because he naturally wears them down with all the retrieveing he does.
Selka does not get enough exercise to wear down his nails and HATES getting them trimmed! I know they are probably too long and would be better if I trimmed alittle every week when I do a thorough brushing but sometimes my body is not up for it.
The groomer (who butchered his butt feathers) said she dremeled his nails!!!
I would have liked to have seen how she did that!!!!

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Molly's nails are pretty short I think. I trim them once a week a little bit at the time. Only the front paws that is.. The other two are always short because of her walks on the pavement. And she is the first dog that I have that doesn't mind having her nails trim! :D I'm happy with that!

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Longer than I'd like, lately. Since Flora gets hardly any exercise due to her surgery, her nails have gotten really long! I had them clipped about 2 weeks ago and clipped a few of them a week later, but they all need to be trimmed quite a bit. When I take her in for her first grooming I will make sure they give her nails a good clip.

·
Registered
511 Posts
When I was at the dog show yesterday I noticed how short the goldens nails were; some looked almost painfully short. I suspect Tucker's are a bit too long, as I have been a wuss trimming them ever since I cut one to the quick and the nail was spurting blood. I now just trim of a little bit off the tips. I have vowed to do it weekly until I get them shorter. He does not click too much on our wood floors, only when excited, so they are not horrendously long. His nails are as black as can be, so seeing the quick is very difficult. Just curious how short everyone keeps them.
If I can hear them click on the hardwood floor, they get trimmed - about once per week.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok I should have been more specific. How short are we talking- 1/4"? 1/2"? The dogs I saw looked like they were at most a 1/4". Also- whose dog has jet black nails? Tucker's are, and our neighbor was surprised when I showed them to them.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
short short short...I try to trim them every Thursday and keep them as short as possible.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Mine are both much too long right now. They are both going to the groomer in tomorrow morning. Duke is a 100 lb paw puller and squimer so he is difficult to get done. Bailey shows teeth at home when I do her nails, but is fine at the groomer. I've found it much easier to let the groomer do them both.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Up until this past year, it seemed like our walks kept Brooks' nails trimmed back to a somewhat reasonable length. But now, they are way, way too long. I am now working with conditioning him to the Dremel as he hates for his feet even to be touched.
So far (after about 5 "conditioning" sessions) I haven't exactly trimmed any nails, but have touched it to them a few times. I am hoping he will get better as time goes by.

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
My dogs' nails, except the Whippet, are 1/4" if even that long. The Whippet has long quicks, and Whippets need their nails when cornering in lure coursing. I keep them as short as I can, but I refuse to hurt him on purpose to get them shorter, and he came from the breeder with long nail quicks.

My GSD has black nails, and so does Brooklyn. Starlite has some darkish ones.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
all my dogs have a few pink nails, so I use those to gauge when cutting the black ones. Not foolproof but I've never gotten a quick yet. I better knock on wood now orI'm gonna feel sorry for whatever dogs quick I cut next

·
Shoregold
670 Posts
Some of mine have black some more pink. I keep my dogs nails very short. I file them once a week with a dremel which makes them round and tight. If you do it often you don't have to take off very much and just takes a few minutes. My dogs really don't mine having their nails done. I lay them on the floor on their backs between my legs....zip, zip, zip and lots of treats and they are done. They get excited because it is they private belly rub time when they get their nails done. They are almost not seen even when the hair is cut back.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts