Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering when you take your pup out to potty, how much time are you spending outside? We go out many times a day, it seems we're out more than in. Maggie will sometimes just go and sit or lie down with a twig or leaf and hang out for a few minutes. Then, will she get the urge to get up and walk down to the tree line where she seems to like to pee. Then, it's more running around at trees and the treasure hunt for natural things and poopscicles. After a few minutes, she'll decide it's time to poop and does it, which I promptly remove it with a shovel and toss into the woods(might have to come up with a better plan for poop removal). After she poops is when we go back inside. Sometimes she'll poop, sometimes not. We are having an average of 1 accident a day in the house, usually a pee. Sometimes we'll go out and she'll run right over and take care of business, both pee and poop. She really keeps me guessing on her behavior and out and back in we go for most of the day.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Marty pretty much potties on command. There are times when he/we just go out to potty and then there are actual walks. Take Maggie out on a leash to her area and as she's going say "potty" (or whatever), and give her a treat. Let her sniff around a little and then head back inside. If she didn't do a poop and is "due" for one take her out in about 15 minutes again and repeat.

·
Debbie
644 Posts
When Riley was little I put a chair in the backyard and spent a lot of time with her out there. I often brought a book and just let her play or chew or whatever. When I need her to go we would go out, I would say, "Go potty!" and then praise and reward her with a treat when she went. Often times though she just liked to be outside.

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Do you have a party when she poops or pees? I took Max out on a leash so if he would lay down or start to play, I could redirect his attention. I would tell him, go pee! And when he did he would get lots of pets and loves and woos! Then after our celebration, I would tell him to make poopies. When he did, again with the pets and loves and woos. When he was very little we would stay out from 5 minutes to 10 at a time. When he was done, I'd take him right in so he'd make the connection - go outside to pee and poop.

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
Bailey goes potty on command. She did this with in a couple of weeks after I brought her home. I took her potty every hour during the day for at least a good month. We still had accidents in the house though.

If Bailey was uninterested in going potty and messing around with the leaves and sticks, I brought her in right away. Now she will do her business first and then start playing when she is done. I'm just now letting her go potty off leash because she is fully trained.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Finn wants to spend most of his time outdoors! Besides playing with our two labs, we have a female boxer on one side of the wrought iron fence and a fancy bijon on the other! I can sit at my kitchen table working and see most of the yard, so as long as he's happy playing, I leave him out. I do find myself going out about every 15 minutes to pull something funky out of his mouth though! Where do they find some of this stuff??

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Luckily when we brought Hank home it was summer so we were spending a lot of time outdoors anyway. I did teach him to potty-on-demand so it was a quick trip out when necessary. He always got a treat and lots of praise. We have a doggy door and a fenced yard so he's been going out on his own since about 3.5-4 months old.

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
I would also recommend going potty on a leash, to a special 'potty' area. And use two different commands. Tess is pretty good with peeing on command, pooping is a different story. I never did the celebration thing, I did praise and pet her and gave her a treat when she had done her business. Still, if she indicates she has to go and doesn't do it ( instead starts chewing and messing around), I take her inside immediately, and no treat.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
When Oakly was a pup I took him out on leash so it was pretty much all business. Once he peed or pooped I made a big deal about it and we went back inside. He potty trained very quickly.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the tips. I do use the same words over and over with regard to peeing and pooping. I do praise her and tell her how wonderful and smart she is. I give the treat when we come back inside. I'll try giving the treat outside directly after she goes and we'll see if this makes the situation better.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
We have a small, fully enclosed back garden so I would just stand in the doorway when mine were little...and watch them...they'd generally just do the biz and then come back to me as I would be praising them and be ready to offer a yummy treat! It sounds like you have a very large and interesting garden for a puppy! Im sure if we had more than what we have Tilly would be out there all day!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts