Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. Bailey is now 2 years old and I was just wondering is there such a thing as too much walking? I always carry plenty of water when we go out and take breaks for me and him!

The reason I ask is I'm on holiday and going on 10mile walks everyday and I took Bailey for the first time today. He got on fine and I couldn't believe he was still full of beans all the way home. I just need to know if I'm overdoing it as I don't want it to have a negative effect on his health (joints etc).

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Brian.

·
& Sawyer's & Quinn's too!
2,740 Posts
Sorry - I don't know for sure, but I wanted to respond to your post! I think that running and forced walking is supposed to be limited for the first 2 years, but after that, I think you are fine as long as Bailey seems fine and is enjoying it! I'm sure you'd have a line of dogs waiting to get that much walking time each day!!!

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
I think 10 mile walks every day sound great! My dogs would love that kind of exercise, unfortunately I don't have the time. Enjoy your holiday! If he seems tired I'd take it easy for a day. Dogs are made for walking! Have fun.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
If you have built up to that distance gradually, and your dog is happy with continuing, then go for it. I know people who have hiked the entire Appalachian Trail (2100 miles) with their dogs, and a few who have done the longer western long trails as well.

My Ben isn't happy walking when it's warm, but he lets us know when he's tired. He'll just lie down in the shade and refuse to move. After a while he'll get up and start walking. If it's cool and there's lots of water, he's happy to hike 10-12 miles.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the replies.

I have been walking 6 or 7 miles a day with Bailey for some time and he manages this just fine. North east Scotland in January so the weathers just about right for him! (not so much me!)

As long as the weather complies I will be out for another 10 miles tomorrow.

Thanks you again.

Brian.

·
Banned
616 Posts
I think 10 miles walking is perfect. I can take my boy out on 12 mile runs (going about 7 minute miles). But I do try to stay on dirt trails or roads for me and him, as pavement can do damage to ligaments and tendons if you are going out everyday. In the human running world we call these injuries "overuse" injuries, and I wouldn't be surprised if dogs are much less susceptible to them, as they are much better athletes than humans. But less impact via trials can only be a good thing. He also enjoys the added smells and adventures he finds in the woods.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Keep an eye on the pup and make sure he is doing ok and I think you will be just fine. As long as you are not doing a lot of excessive running and jumping he should be more than ok, only thing I would keep an eye on is his paws. Depending what you are walking on they can get a little sensitive or raw sometimes (especially on all pavement).

I have taken my Golden who was 8 months at the time (and also named Bailey :) on hikes up into the mountains which was probably well over 10 miles of terrain and she loved every second of it and crashed the second we got back to the truck.

Keep water with you like you are doing and take a couple short break to make sure he is doing good and all should be well.

I think 10 mile walks every day sound great! My dogs would love that kind of exercise, unfortunately I don't have the time. Enjoy your holiday! If he seems tired I'd take it easy for a day. Dogs are made for walking! Have fun.
Just saw you were from Anchorage, I am out in Wasilla :wavey:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
How far is too far? (updated with Scottish scenery from my walks)

Thank you for the replies.

Bailey seems fine with this walk. A lot of the time he is on the grass verge and not on the tarmac path so I think his paws should be fine but I will keep an eye on that in the future.

The walk I'm doing is 10 miles from start to finish along the coatal cliff path in Arbroath, Scotland. The path starts about 5mins walk from my house which is convenient!

PennysMom asked for some pictures of the scenery on the walk so I took off this morning with camera and dog in hand. Thanks again.

And no, he is never off his lead up there!!

Regards, Brian.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Sounds like great fun for Bailey, he is a lucky boy. As long as he has breaks and water I say it is fine.

I love the pics too, haven't been to Scotland in a few years but I remember all those stunning views.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
OMG, beautiful and wonderful to have that so close to home. I'll be you get some really tough storms blowing in! I can see why he stays on his lead...one misstep and....:(

Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful walk! Oh and the last picture? That would be me!

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Beautiful pictures of the countryside and beautiful dog.
I am envious. I would love to get that much walking time in with my boys!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts