Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Mom to Luna
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read lots of threads about WHEN you can start running with your Golden, but I am wondering how far I can go now that mine is old enough. I love to run (actually it's more of a jog - about 9.5 min/mile). I have jogged a little with my almost-two-year-old G.R. Luna. The farthest we have gone is about 3.5 miles. I have a couple questions: First, at this age would it be safe to slowly work her up to about 5 miles a couple times per week or is that WAY too far. Second, most of our jogging is on pavement in neighborhoods (asphalt). Does that change your answer to the first question? Her mom and dad both were evaluated to have "good to excellent" hips and elbows were normal (I don't think elbows have specific ratings). I'd love to hear from anyone who has experience with this! I would hate for something to happen to Luna, but I would LOVE for her to be more of a running partner. It's much more fun with her!

PS - Sorry if you've already read this. I accidentally originally posted it to a "boarding" forum...

1 - 1 of 1 Posts