Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We feed Butters and Koda Purina Pro Plan chicken and rice. We generally pay about $37/bag and we go through 1.5 bags/month. For any of you who feed raw or know much about it, how does the cost compare to feeding dry kibble?

I have lots of research yet to do to make a decision... but I figure I will start with price and then move on to health and "how to".

:--businessman:

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
MissMarstar is the best person that I know to ask about Raw Food. She feeds her boys that.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
My brother-in-law just started feeding his 5 y/o GSD a raw diet this summer. He was also feeding Pro Plan before and he said that he doesn't really notice too much of a savings, but he is sticking to raw.

·
Faux Wanda
1,528 Posts
I have been researching raw for quite a while now. I too am using pro plan and I really don't like it. I do it because I go through a 40lb bag a week. I currently have 6 dogs. I started my research on the internet and got some good information. I will have to have feed the dogs 2 time a day for 7 days x 6 dogs. This means that I will have to have room in my freezer for 84 bags of food in my freezer. I have a spare freezer so I cleaned out one of them just for dog food. On one of the websites that I visited I got this formula.
dogs weight x 16 = dogs weight in oz.
dogs weight in oz. x .02 = 2% of dogs weight.
2% of dogs weight x .6 = 60% raw bone meal
2% of dogs weight x .4 = 40% Veggies and organs
I spoke to my vet and she was all for it. She had even done raw for her dogs.
The next part of my research is to find a supplier of the raw meats.
I found a chicken plant that I can get chicken in bulk and other organs but I haven't yet found a butcher to get the other meat products that I would like to use. I also don't live near the coast but I would like to feed fish on occasion so I am looking for a good source of fresh meat and fish products.
My vet also told me about a dog nutritionist that she knows of that will sit down with me and assess each of my dogs nutritional needs and let me know what supplements they might need and how to go about the switch. Unfortunately, her office is over an hour away and I just haven't taken the time to go to see her since I haven't secured the source of the food yet.
I think for me it will be a much more time consuming endeavor but in the end I think that it will be worth it. I have spoken to many people that have already made the switch and have been told that the benefits include:
Sweeter smelling breath
little to no ear infections
fewer bowel movements
teeth never have to be cleaned
fewer vet visits.
fewer parasite problems
no skin problems
just to name a few of their claims
As for cost, I think that depends on where you purchase your products. If you get them at someplace like Sams club your might pay a little more than if you were able to go to a meat packing plant and get them.
I hope that some of this information has helped. I will be watching this thread for more info on the subject. I obviously haven't done it because I am not quite comfortable with it yet. The more info I get, the more comfortable I become. I think that I am getting close to making the switch.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks GoldHaven. One of the biggest reasons I have considered switching is for ear infections. No matter how diligent we are or what food we have Butters on he still gets them.

I hadn't thought about a meat packing plant or something similar... I will definitely research that in my area.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Thanks GoldHaven. One of the biggest reasons I have considered switching is for ear infections. No matter how diligent we are or what food we have Butters on he still gets them.

I hadn't thought about a meat packing plant or something similar... I will definitely research that in my area.
What foods have you tried?

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
If you buy in bulk, it can be quite a bit cheaper to feed raw. I get all my dogs meat in 30-40 pound cases and spend on average 50 cents per pound, but for things like chicken it actually is closer to 35 cents. It varies though, and is a different price every time I buy stuff. The only time I've ever paid more than $1 per pound was buying beef.

I buy everything at a meat locker type place locally. If I run out and can't go there, I just buy a few days worth of meat at the grocery store to hold us over, but it is more expensive there.

Of course in order to be able to do that, I did have to make the initial investment in a chest freezer to hold it all.

All I can say about switching to a raw diet is RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH. Its a big investment of time on the human's part, definitely. I just spent over an hour yesterday separating and bagging the 70 pounds of meat I bought on Thursday after it had defrosted for almost 2 full days in my garage.

If my dog had not had the allergies he did, I would have been fine having him on a good quality kibble.. but the raw diet has done wonders for him so we're sticking with it. It is very rewarding knowing exactly the quality diet my dogs are getting on a daily basis and seeing the rewards of such a natural diet for them.

PM me if you have any questions :)

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
ProPlan, Nutro Natural Choice, Canidae
If you decide to try another kibble I would suggest a food geared towards dogs with food allergies such as California Natural or Healthwise. They are both decently affordable, the Healthwise more so than the California Natural (made by same company).

They are both limited ingredient foods.

·
Registered
680 Posts
It would cost over $120 per dog where I live.
I feed Cody wellness Super5mix which is $90 for 30lbs, he eats 1 bag per month. And I priced out raw and it is probably about $120+ per month if I did the frozen patties. As far as buy your own meats and veggies I have no idea, but it would be A LOT more than $37 a month.

·
Registered
680 Posts
stay away from kibble with corn in it and brewers rice, those are the two main reasons for ear infections.
You can try a Holistic brand like Innova and Wellness, and I think the cost of those in the US is much less then what I pay in Canada.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have played around with raw a little. I really didn't notice any savings from it. I have fed wellness, totw, fromm, and now I'm trying canidae. Raw is a great diet for dogs, but it can be a hassle. I would listen to what MissMarstar say's, sounds like she's got it pretty well figured out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts