Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was at the vet last she told me hes underweight and needs to gain about 6-10lbs. I am not sure I agree with her on that. I really like this vet but we cannot seem to get straight hes not a pure Shepherd. His mother was a pure Belgian Malinois and his father was 1/4 Shepherd and 3/4 malinois (not sure what that makes Lincoln???). I can still feel his ribs fine when I press lightly. He has his winter coat here so hes extra fluffy.

I weighed him today and I think hes getting a bit puffy considering I prefer to keep him on the light side for his hips. I weighed him today and he was 66 pounds.

This was taken the beginning of December. He doesnt have a full winter coat here as the weather didnt make up its mind on if it was going to stay warm or get cold. He was 63 pounds here. This was taken after the one vet visit where she said he needs to gain

And this pic was during a coccidia infection last year. He was only 52 pounds here. He was underweight here IMO

His feeding hasnt changed. He gets 1.5 cups of Pro plan in the morning and 1 1/3 cup at night mixed with a couple spoon fulls of canned food

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
I think he looks fine (Though hard to tell through all the fur!) Nice tuck... I wouldn't add 6lbs at all!

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My old vet thought he was underweight to. I have had the neighbours call the spca on me because apparently I dont feed him. They showed up and I showed the bin of food I had for him and said trust me...if he starts refusing food something is up because Lincoln does NOT EVER refuse food. This was last year. I wonder if its vets are so used to seeing fat dogs they dont know what a healthy weight looks like? My aunts beagle mix looks like a foot ball and she doesnt think hes over weight and the vets thinks hes fine to so I dunno.

·
Premium Member
18,421 Posts
I think he looks good now too. Not sure why the vet wants him to gain.

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She thinks hes more Shepherd then Malinois and therefore should weigh 75-80 pounds like a typical Shepherd. Shes never seen a Malinois etc. I know my breed but I just wanted to make sure other people thought he was fine as well.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
He looks good to me. Especially if he has more Mal in him than Shepherd.

It does seem like some vets don't really recognize a healthy weight anymore. That cardiologist we saw listed Riley as "trim" when he was still 88lbs and the regular vet agreed that he looked good. Granted, he didn't really look like he weighed 88lbs, but they both saw his chart, saw how much he actually weighed and still said he was fine. He really shouldn't be much over 82lbs for his size, so I don't understand their thinking.

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My friends Alaskan Malamute is 108lbs. The vet prescribed him the thyroid medication based on what he thinks he should weigh which is 80lbs. This dog is rail thin and needs to gain 10-20 pounds not lose it...

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
My friends Alaskan Malamute is 108lbs. The vet prescribed him the thyroid medication based on what he thinks he should weigh which is 80lbs. This dog is rail thin and needs to gain 10-20 pounds not lose it...
Holy... wow. I don't know what the breed standard is for Malamutes, but just going by the ones I've met, I couldn't imagine any of them weighing only 80lbs. It's hard to tell under all that hair, but I would have to guess that the ones I've met would easily go 110-115.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts