Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got a Wii Fit and want to try and get back into shape, plus loose a few pounds. I set it up and it looks like it will be fun, but Sienna really wanted in on the action LOL. There is a hoola hoop exercise and she really thought I wanted to play :p:

I'm not sure when I can work a routine in around her and my busy life. "Matter of fact" DH says do it first thing before I take her out of the crate because I am a lot lazier after a hard days work and running around. I see his point, but I also don't see how I can turn on the TV and be jumping around right in front of her (crate is right next to the TV- no other options in our small house) especially after a full night without peeing. She goes nuts when she sees me coming towards the crate.

I was thinking of making an extra frozen Kong and either giving it to her after I let her out or being as diligent as possible and trying to do it at night. Any ideas?

I should add that I can't take her for a run beforehand because I am alone with DS (DH goes to work really early and comes home late) Now that the days are getting longer though, I will be in better shape to do more- I just ordered a WalkyDog!!

·
Registered
913 Posts
You'll just have to get another dog so they can play with each other while you're excercising. Every once in a while when I'm doing the ski jump I get way out of balance because Kylee decided to put her head or foot on the back of the board.

·
Banned
1,156 Posts
fasten the wii handset to the dogs collar and teach her tp play bowling then you can have a game together.

i'll get my coat.

·
<---- Andy Farmer!
5,885 Posts
Depending on how long the workout is (20 minutes?), let her outside for 20 minutes and let her run around. Then let her back in when you are finished?

I can't even lie on the ground to stretch out without my three putting their noses in my face LOL

·
Mulligan
516 Posts
My golden sits beside me as I use the Wii. he is quite helpful with the balancing exercises.

·
Chloe and Cedar's Mom
718 Posts
Thats awesome.. lol I have Wii Fit too.. Love it by the way.. Love how it keeps track of your weight and progress.. I also do Turbo Jam 5 days a week.. I normally try and put the pups outside, depending on the weather.. They keep each other company in the back yard.. If not than sometimes I block them out of the living room with a baby gate.. sometimes I give them their kongs.. and sometimes they are just good and lay down and watch me, wondering what im doing.. lol Try different things.. A frozen kong might work for a food motivated dog. But you jumping around may be more interesting then food!

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
When I attempt to do pilates or any floor exercise at home, the dogs try to lay on top of me, walk over me, get in my face, lick my face.... generally make it completely impossible for me to get any exercise done. So they now have their backyard playtime if I want to do some situps. LOL Or I give them a bullystick or something equally time consuming to chew on. :)

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
When Our Penny was little, she was afraid of the treadmill so she stayed upstairs.

Once when I was all done with my floor exercises and stretching, I was lying on my back listening to Schubert nearly falling asleep. I didn't hear her creep down the stairs. I got a paw on my tummy and a big smooch across the face!

End of quiet time!

·
Simon & Shadow's Mom
860 Posts
OMG! I have this SAME problem!

I have learned that I need to do the floor exercise ones when the pups are OUT, or give them something filled with peanut butter (frozen lasts even longer).

My home is an open concept, so there is no blocking, other than OUTSIDE or CRATE.

I LOVE my WII Fit... I figure that Simon will eventually grow up and get over it (maybe?). Shadow doesn't bother me too much. He's more interested in anything with peanut butter in it!
:D

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hopefully she will get used to it. When I started working out a few months ago Harley would go crazy, jumping on and over me. I guess doing push ups and sit ups looks like fun! Now he is used to it and will hop up on the couch and wait patiently!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I have a wiifit too and Maximus was INSANE at first. He wanted to play and jump and "help" me workout! After the first few times he would just sit and watch when he realized I wasn't playing with him.I just ignored him, and sure I didn't get much of a workout in the first week, but it got me into the habit of turning it on and using it and Max got into the groove too. Now if I don't do it, he gets a little confused and paws at it to "play". I just love it!! =)

·
Registered
178 Posts
One crunch .. pet the doggie... 2 crunch... get kisses from the doggie LOL!

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I have the same problem, Marley loves it when I start the Hula Hoop! He sticks his paws on my bum and my fiance laughs at us doing the 'hula hoop conga'!

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
We have the same problem! :doh: What I do it exercise them best I can, first.. then put them behind the baby gate with a chewy... Otherwise they are jumping all over me, so excited.. and I don't want to step on them! :doh: It is cute... but not so cute after a bit! :uhoh:

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
We have Wii Fit and I love it. Tucker is always crated while I'm working out, either with Wii Fit or in our home gym.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts