Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it sounds stupid, and I don't mean it to sound stupid or silly.

It's not.

Allie has been spayed on Thursday, and I have been caring for her. She is on rimadyl(sp) and also tramadal. She seemed to be doing good, so I stopped the tramadol yesterday morning. She seemed fine yesterday.

Today, she is laying down, and she is wagging her tail nervously, and tummy is rising and falling quickly. I think that is a signal of her pain? I am not sure.. she doesn't whine or cry for anything. She will bark once in a while, and growl when she wants out, or excited to go bye bye.

So, is this a signal that a dog is in pain??

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Is she panting excessively? Is she eating and drinking normally? You're right it's hard to tell, but to be safe you can call an emergency 24-hour vet and ask what they think.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
eating, drinking, ahem eliminating totally normal.
No panting. I don't think she is in dire distress. I would recognize that. But, uncomfortable. The vet said to keep her quiet which is what I have been doing. She is a calm dog anyways. But, the vet mentioned something about 'dogs want to be normal and please' so they will act as normal as possible, and not really exhibit pain signals.

I am just wondering how dog show pain? Especially if they're not vocal about it.

I gave her a tramadol and hopefully that will be my answer.

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
My Sam would shiver when in pain. He never cried or whined. I have also heard that heavy panting is a sign of pain. You said she's not panting, but her tummy is rising and falling quickly. To me, that would indicate heavier than normal breathing. If you've given her pain meds again, I'd wait and see if that helps. A certain amount of discomfort is to be expected. Hugs to Allie:)

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. She is sleeping now at my side, and I am watching her carefully for her signs of distress. The pain med makes her sleep. I think that's what she needs right now.

We just want the best for our dog kids, and don't want them to be in any kind of distress.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
she went to the bed 'cave' she likes sleeping under the bed, my side. I looked in on her, and her eyes were open, but she doesn't seem to be in the same distress.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts