Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
-Sam from California
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been wondering how to keep Bruce in the front & stay around our property without wandering off or having me chase him. any ideas? it would be much appreciated. =)

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
Do you have any kind of fencing? Do you mean he wanders off when you are out there with him, or do you want him to hang out for a while by himself? To be honest, I'm so concerned with the goldens being safe&secure, I just never let them out in the front yard. There are lots of threads if you search the forum that focus on a great recall- which could be your best place to start.

·
Registered
10,529 Posts
I agree with Jill. My short answer is "You can't." Case in point the post regarding the Lab who was just killed.

Anything can happen, and it only takes once for tragedy to strike.

I have seen too many well-trained dogs (and many of these were dogs I knew) who, just that once, broke and were killed or injured.

Your best bet is a fence.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
I am the same as Jenna. My dogs are fine off leash in our yard when I am there (we live on a street with very little traffic.) but they are trained obedience dogs with great recall and have been trained to not go beyond our sidewalk. I NEVER leave them out there alone! A million things could happen!

I would suggest: Put up a fence and take many obedience classes! Practice recall over and over with lots of positive reinforcement!

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
Yeah, I want to add that I live on a quiet street. I still use a flexi if I feel like taking Holiday or Starlite out front to potty for some reason. I don't think they'd go anywhere, but I'm a little paranoid over Starlite (scared to lose him, I'm overly attached since getting him back), and I don't put chasing a squirrel past Holiday. I'm breaking her of it, but I don't trust her 100% yet.

Now Rigby, Spirit, and Brooklyn? I never leash them to take them out front to pee, and I don't leash ANY of them when we're going out front to get in the van and go to the park. I have their undivided, obsessed attention the moment I pick up the Chuck-it and a handful of "just in case" leashes ;)

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
I have the invisible fence too. I know there's some controversy on the use of these but I will tell you that I am much more relaxed outside with my dog now. She thinks before she runs after something and that gives me enough time to change her focus. I still watch her closely and she's never outside without me.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
If there are any roads at the front of your house my answer would be 'you don't'. Just not worth the risk. Go for proper walks where your dog can safely be off the lead and explore til their hearts content!

·
Shoregold
670 Posts
You can never trust it. We have a golden around here that completed his training in UDX and was working for his OTCH. He was hanging around his property with this owner like any other typical day. A cat ran through the yard and no commands stopped him as the owner watched him get hit. He did not make it. :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts