Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you know when your dog is sick versus possibly just growing up? I'm worried about Flip because he's acting a little too "normal." His appetite is fine, if we're playing he's good, but every time I sit down he goes to sleep. I expect that from my other dogs. When Flip does it I want to throw him in the car and rush him to the vet! I guess if he doesn't actually show any other symptoms I'll just keep an eye on him and if he's still like this on Monday I'll bring him to the vet just to make sure. Of course if any other symptoms come up I will bring him to the emergency vet. He did get ahold of a rabbit but he started this before then.

Hopefully I've just got a boy who's starting to act like an appropriate 2 1/2 year old.

·
Titan1
2,353 Posts
Did you take his temp? Is it normal..... He probably just grew up when you left him for a few days...

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have a thermometer...guess I'm a bad dog mom, need to get one.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I posted yesterday that after we did a utility run through he came in a fell asleep. Then that he fell asleep during a down stay. And later that night I posted that he kept just standing there with his head on my leg. It was notable that he was being so calm but I didn't think that much of it, but more of that today.

I just pulled out a tug toy and he gave it his all trying to tug it out of my hand, did some heeling and he was happy, did his little sucky fish excited jaw sound that drives me crazy. Now I'm on the computer and he is curled up next to me asleep again. I would never question it with the others, but this is not like him.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
You know your dogs best.. maybe trust that mommy instinct. He's probably fine to wait until Monday if no other symptoms arise..as long as he is eating/drinking normally. Good Luck..try not to stress too much!

·
Gracie's mom and dad
301 Posts
you may want to take him to your vet for a quick checkup sooner than later. Any changes in behavior or daily functions can herald underlying disease. Better safe than sorry.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Santa came to visit in the form of my parents tonight and he is feeing MUCH better for the evening.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Santa grandparents are gone and he's curled up against my leg

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I usually base it on eating/drinking/pooping/peeing normally. I *do* have a doggy thermometer though and have had to use it. I've had my moments worrying about Ruby for the same reason as Flip. I'll bet there's nothing too serious going on.

Reactions: Loisiana

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's funny, he's not really acting "sick," he's just acting so much like a normal dog LOL! But I think most likely it is the fact that I am off work so he's not stuck in his crate all day, and is slipping in naps when he gets the chance. It's just hard not to worry!

He just got into a pack of unopened doggy tennis balls, and when I put that up he got reached on a shelf and got a tug toy. That's up and now he's checking out the counters. That's more like my boy!

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I hope he's fine today.

Don't laugh, but if Toby were acting like you describe, I'd probably walk him down to his vet's office (very close and along our walking route) and let him greet the staff and check out the clinic cat. If he just sniffed the cat and didn't lunge/bark, I'd know he's sick. Heck, everyone would know he's sick! Also if he didn't greet the clinic staff in his normal way we'd all know he's sick.

I'd get a special dedicated doggie thermometer though-it can come in very handy, but don't do what I did when I bought one that read in C not F, then thought Barkley was dangerously ill when I Googled, did the conversion formula and messed up the math in the conversion. :doh::doh: The old operator error!

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Is that a cat scan? lol

I hope he's fine today.

Don't laugh, but if Toby were acting like you describe, I'd probably walk him down to his vet's office (very close and along our walking route) and let him greet the staff and check out the clinic cat. If he just sniffed the cat and didn't lunge/bark, I'd know he's sick. Heck, everyone would know he's sick! Also if he didn't greet the clinic staff in his normal way we'd all know he's sick.

I'd get a special dedicated doggie thermometer though-it can come in very handy, but don't do what I did when I bought one that read in C not F, then thought Barkley was dangerously ill when I Googled, did the conversion formula and messed up the math in the conversion. :doh::doh: The old operator error!

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Hope he's okay, I suspect it's just the difference of having you home all day.
Merry Christmas to you and yours!

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I am with Hotel for Dogs. You have changed his schedule! He sleeps all day in his crate while you are up, and then is all recharged and ready to go when you get home. Now he has to be awake all day with you. Flip is probably thinking the same thing about you! He may try to check YOUR temperature, when you aren't looking. Tucker is like this as well.

I am the same way as you. I am super sensitive to any change in Tucker's behavior. He has this barely audible whine that he does from time to time. It sounds like it is his nose whistling. He is acting totally normal otherwise. (I use the pee, poop, eat, normal activity barometer as well). I have poked and felt him all over, let him out to do his business, fed him, everything. I think I have finally figured it out! He only does it when one or 2 of the 4 of us are with him. Best I can tell, it seems Tucker does this when we all are not in the same room as a family! He has always been super pack oriented, to the point he will stop dead in his tracks if the 4 of us are out walking together and some one lags behind. I have noticed too that he started doing the faint whine thing after Tess passed away. I have wondered if it is him missing her.

·
where the tails wag
13,380 Posts
I hope he is just tired from all the excitement of having you home after your trip. Plus you had mentioned he was looking taller - sometimes growth spurts take a lot of energy.

Anyway, hope he is up to his usual antics today :)

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I don't have a thermometer...guess I'm a bad dog mom, need to get one.
Don't feel bad. I'm 59 y.o., have had dogs all my life and never taken a dog's temp. Never really needed to.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I spent most of the day at my parents house and today Flip is back to being part border collie. So I guess it most likely was the change in his schedule. I think this is further proof that I should not work full time.

Now I need to go remove the one inch piece of elk antler he has left that he is gleefully tossing his head back with before he chokes.

Reactions: Megora

·
Kate
21,677 Posts
I'm glad he's feeling better<:

I think I mentioned on another thread that my guy was punked out on Friday because we brought the tree in and other crazy stuff was going on. Any changes to his world and it turns him into a mournful hound dog. Maybe that's what was going on with Flip too.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
I am so relieved he's OK. I didn't think falling asleep in a down stay was normal unless he was 14 and very laid back!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts