Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for you...may sound silly...how do you count months for puppies? in 4-week blocks, or by the day of the month he/she was born?

My Tucker was born on 6/25/11. If I count each month as a 4-week block, he'll be 6 months on 1/10/11. If I go by the day of the month, he'll be 6 months on Christmas Day.

Since so much about puppies (what they can do, eat, etc.) is determined by age, I'm curious as to how to accurately figure his age. Obviously when he's full grown that will be moot. But until then, an accurate age seems to matter a lot...

·
Layla and Bauer's Mommy
151 Posts
I've always gone by the full month. For example, Layla was born on March 8th, 2011, so she will be 9 months on December 8th. I think that's how you're supposed to tell their age. Correct me if I'm wrong.

By the way, if your pup will be 6 months at Christmas with full months, wouldn't the 4-week approximation for a month make him "6 months" before Christmas? I just want to make sure I'm understanding you correctly.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I've always counted by the date too. Bentley was born March 12th so he'll be 9 months old on December 12th.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
If you are using months, then I would count full-month periods instead of 4 week blocks. If need a more accurate age, then use weeks, but I wouldn't mix the 2 units.

It isn't a silly question! Where I work, we developed an (overly?) complicated algorithm for calculating people's age. It isn't as simple as you might think. :)

·
Kate
21,677 Posts
I would round it off to the nearest month and let it go at that. So 6/25 (to me) is closer to July than June. So he will be 6 months in January. :)

I only go by the exact date when I'm celebrating my guy's birthday. :)

Further than that - telling people how old my dog is - I do it the same I do with babies... months up to 12 months, and then I just start counting years. I figure I would help people out and not make them do mental math when I tell them my dog is 48 months old... :D

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
This actually became a big deal for us when trying to figure out when to give Jordan her vaccines. So until she was 6 months ,I used weeks. Now that she's got all that nasty stuff(shots, spay, worming) out of the way, we use months. Glad I wasn't the only one confused :)

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Type pita pata in the forum search and it will tell you how to load it in your signature. I was having the devil of a time, until I googled in the forum and the instructions are great.

I am also lazy and when to know their ages, just pull up my postings!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts