Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to the breeding arena. I have had one litter in the past and have plans for another one in the future. My question is how do other breeders "get the word out" that they have a litter planned before it is on the ground? I realize once the litter is born, you can post pics and get interest that way. My last litter was only of 3 and all pups were spoken for right away. But, I only had a couple additional people lined up before these were born. I haven't been in the show ring in a while which if I was out there more, I know I could probably generate interest that way as well. I hear people making critisms about people that advertise on some internet websites or the newspaper and I am thinking, well what is the right way to do it then? I just recently (2 months ago) set up a website and have had a few inquiries that way, but I think that is mostly by chance. What do other people do? TIA.:wavey:

·
Registered
10,557 Posts
When I first started out, my litters were bred with my mentor, so she helped in placing them as she had a lot of contacts. By the time I was breeding on my own, I was fairly well-established.

When I moved from South Carolina to Wisconsin, it was almost like starting over again, but being a kennel club and a specialty club member was very helpful.

Now, I find that about 1/2 my puppies are sold to previous buyers or to people recommended by previous buyers, and most of the rest through referrals from breeder friends. Specialty club websites have also been good referral sources. The AKC site has been helpful as well, although I always put my price in the ad so people know right away that these aren't $400 puppies. I have found a few good homes through newspaper ads but honestly most of the responses weren't people I wanted to sell to and most of them didn't want to pay the price I was asking.

Pretty typical is the call I got the other day from someone who got a Golden from me 13 years ago. She died last summer and they are ready for a new addition to the family, so they are on my list now.

·
16,000 Posts
A announcement in the GRNews, or your local GR club / all breed club announcing the planned breeding is the best way, other than word of mouth.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought of the GRnews but I thought those were mostly announced after the breeding took place in which case by the time the publication comes out, they may be all sold anyways.

·
Registered
10,557 Posts
Oh, and then there is EverythingGolden.com, which does have the advantage of being more timely as it is published online, on a monthly basis.

·
Premium Member
16,438 Posts
I am a tiny bit addicted to the litter listings on the GRWeekly site. I need a twelve step program for this problem!

Having the person whose stud dog you choose mention your litter on her.his webpage might be good?

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,602 Posts
Once I have a plan for an upcoming litter, I'll make note of the plan on my website. I also let others know of my plans at Club Meetings and Events. From that point word of mouth takes care of it and there is usually a long waiting list by the time the litter arrives.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I love looking at the litters on GRweekly. I used to be an addict, but I think I have gotten through my 12 step program :)

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
A announcement in the GRNews, or your local GR club / all breed club announcing the planned breeding is the best way, other than word of mouth.

My puppy owners all came from the Breeders list on our local GR Club. Sol's owner ( Sire of the puppies) is in charge of the upcoming litters on the site, and that is how I received all of my first puppy owners. On her second litter, referrals from the first owners to friends and family, and through the club again as well. Now, I have had four people contact me, wanting a puppy, from seeing and inquiring who the breeder was. But, Lexi has now been spayed, so unless I decide to stud Klondike out, it will end here. The Sire to both Lexi's litter is listed on the goldens only site. Sol is his name...WA. state. Also the link to him.

Ch. Colorbook's Nothing Like The Sun "Sol" (White/COLORBOOK) - Washington

1 - 9 of 9 Posts