Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a general question to those people who have gotten, or are thinking of getting a new pup. How do you choose? Boy or girl? Which boy, which girl from a litter? Do the breeders help you choose a pup that will fit best into your family situation? I am curious what people have done to decide. :confused:

·
16,000 Posts
As a breeder, I evaluate, test, and place my puppies into the homes that will best suit them. THis has proven to be the best thing for BOTH the puppies and the new families.
Speak with your breeder in order to determine whether a male or a female will better suit you.

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
My breeders choose...I've told them that I want a girl, and I would very much like her to become a therapy dog. I've seen the pups 5 times now, usually for an hour each time, but there's always so much to see and ask, that I haven't focused on one girl yet. I'm glad the breeders choose, because they see the pups at every possible moment. Personally I don't believe in pups 'choosing' their owner any more, it's all a matter of who's awake and who's not...I like them all!

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
As a breeder, I evaluate, test, and place my puppies into the homes that will best suit them. THis has proven to be the best thing for BOTH the puppies and the new families.
Speak with your breeder in order to determine whether a male or a female will better suit you.

This is exactly what I have done in choosing puppies for their new families. It has worked out perfectly, and everyone have been so pleased and happy with the puppy chosen for them.

·
Registered
10,488 Posts
That's exactly what I do too, although in a large litter I am usually able to offer my families a choice between a couple of puppies.

·
Registered
508 Posts
My breeders choose...I've told them that I want a girl, and I would very much like her to become a therapy dog. I've seen the pups 5 times now, usually for an hour each time, but there's always so much to see and ask, that I haven't focused on one girl yet. I'm glad the breeders choose, because they see the pups at every possible moment. Personally I don't believe in pups 'choosing' their owner any more, it's all a matter of who's awake and who's not...I like them all!
I hope we get more pictures tonight!

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
I prefer to choose my own puppy, but I certainly take the breeder's thoughts deeply to heart! I like different things structurally or type-wise than someone else might like, and even for a pet I pick quite a bit on structure, head type, etc. I know what I want to look at for 15 years. As far as personality, I find most puppies are not difficult to "mold" so to speak, but I tend to pick the most mellow, easy going puppy. I do prefer one with natural ball drive, but that doesn't always mean a crazy, active one. Sex tends to be of little importance. I go on structure and personality.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Our breeder lets us choose our own. We had pick of the litter with both Tucker and Tyson (our new pup who was just born last week). We are also friends with our breeder and she knows what we're looking for in our dogs. She does advise us of what each pup's personality is like and she knows that we prefer the males. I also like to be able to choose my own puppy.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
In the past we have always had first pick and been able to do puppy testing/pick ourselves.

I prefer male goldens so if I ever get a puppy again would for sure want a male, even if the breeder chose for me. If you trust and know your breeder, then you should trust their experience to choose for you.

·
Registered
691 Posts
We told the breeder we wanted a boy, and talked about our household, lifestyle and what type of pet we were looking for. We had 4 puppies to choose from and took the breeders recommendation on the best one for us.

We did this with Jake (at the bridge) and Cody and both have been the best dogs for us.

·
Registered
51 Posts
When we got ours, we went to see them at 4 weeks and there were 3 females. I wanted a female. The breeder held them up for us to look at their faces, and Champ barked at us, so we knew she was the one. She picked us:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts