Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dogs have to live outside, both of them have a dog house and blankets in them. My dad doesn't want them inside. I wouldn't mind them being inside but, It would be a disaster anyway since we have a new kitten, my dogs would get it if they hurt her, ha!. Allie is the only house animal. =) Sophie would chew stuff and pee and poop in the house, anyway. Joe is so well behaved in the house (we sneak him in when dads gone). We've had him for 9 years and we never house trained him and he's NEVER peed inside. They have more room outside anyways to wrestle and everything. My dogs get attention and their "walkies" everyday, like any other dog.

What I don't like is outdoor dogs running loose, with no owner in sight. That's totally irresponsible. Mine are fenced in with a huge yard.

I know how some of you may feel, but I don't want to be critisized for this. I can't control it and it's for the best they stay outside.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I think i'm ok with it, because you do give your dog the attention they need and the exercise and the care.

A few house down from mine, is a golden too, but ever since i've moved here (which is about 10 years) that dog has been outside, day and night, I've never seen them take the golden out for a walk and he barks like crazy when someone walks by or a car drives by the back alley. It's not friendly barks either, he's pretty aggressive for a golden retriever, imo. I've never had a golden before, but i read and i've seen a few but they were all really friendly and always enjoyed company.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Meg is also an outdoor dog, but I think in the climate I live in (we dont get snow, and the temperature rarely drops below 2 deg [email protected]) its fine and during the day my family spends most time outside with her! If my kids were the type to spend all day inside playing computer games or on the computer(they would have to remove me first though) then I definately would not have a dog, I dont like the idea of having a house dog at the moment because my youngest child is asthmatic and I try to reduce allergins as much as possible. Perhaps when she is older I will reconsider that, but at the moment her health is more important. Besides our house yard is extremely safe, nothing can get in- and nothing can get out.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
It seems that you've done the best you possibly can for your dogs. One of the things I would change, though, is to have hay (straw) put in the dog house with the blanket on top. Material can get cold in the winter but the straw acts as a heater by holding the heat. Do you take your guys for more than one walk a day? Do they seem to like to be outdoors? When I put Mojo out in the morning I have a terrible time trying to get him back in. It's me that wants him in, not the other way around. As long as your guys are happy dogs and get the human contact they need by being brushed and played with there is nothing wrong with them being outside. Just keep an eye on them in the winter months.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Well, I don't like the idea myself. I understand your circumstances may make it impossible for you, but dogs just weren't meant to live alone outside. I've seen many houses that have a kennel outdoors with a doghouse and that is where the dog lives. Sometimes with no human interaction :mad: and sometimes with lots of human attention, which isn't anyway near as bad, but still not for me.

The reason; Dogs are pack animals. They are social animals who need to be part of a pack. That is you and your family. They like to be with their pack and are not happy when by themselves. Sure they will adjust and will welcome your attention and when you are with them they will be happy, but how about the rest of the time?

Without the Pack Structure and the social interaction with their pack, dogs can develop behaviour and dominance problems. My first question to anyone who leaves their dog outside 24/7 is "Why have a dog?" The reason why I got a dog was because I wanted a friend and companion to do things with. I waited a long time until I had the property and resources to properly care for a dog even though I wanted very badly to have one. If you don't want a dirty house or if you don't want to take the time to properly exercise your dog, then you have to find a breed right for you (it won't be a Golden).

·
Registered
16 Posts
I hate to see dogs kept outside. The only exception would be hunting dogs and then I would like to see them have nice kennels, not tied to a box. Goldens are so people oriented that it isn't natural for them to be outside. I think you would miss out on a lot of the funny stuff they do when we are just hanging around the house. Just my opinion though. Karen

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I have to agree with you Timberwolfe, but sometimes you do the best you can with what you have. I couldn't leave my guys outside all the time but I do know people that do and they think I'm the crazy one. When hubby and I go out together we give ourselves a 4 hour limit before we're home for the dogs because they're in their crates. Zoe has a very small bladder and Mojo just stresses when he's locked up no matter what I do to make him happy.
I do volunteer work in the community and people are starting to realize that I'll help as long as it isn't for more than 4 hours. Silly of me, really.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My Princess LuLu stays outside too. She stays in the garage when we are not home and in the garage at night. We never let her just run loose though. She is outside when we are home. She gets plenty of exercise.

I have never been a fan of inside animals. I have this thing about keeping my house clean.;)

As long as they get exercise and know that you love them I don't think it matters!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
77 Posts
This issue needs to be judged by whether there are any signs of excessive digging, barking, aggression, escapes or other signs of emotional stress.
In my opinion, as long there is no problem it should be ok to keep your golden outside.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ya, neither dog has any problems like barking, etc. They bark at strangers, or other dogs and they dig occassionally for moles. (We have them bad here sometimes) That's the worse they ever do. They chew on toys or bones. They are terribly rotten. ha

·
Registered
187 Posts
Reading all these posts from people who keep their dogs outside has me worriedI think it can be OK for a dog to be kept outside BUT there are important issues, such as the amount of time the dog spends alone, how stimulating the environment is for the dog, does it have enough shelter from sun/cold ect ect .

Even if you are sure your dog has all the above sorted out, WHY have a golden if you are worried about fur/ dirt? WHY have any dog at all if you dont want it to be a full part of your family?
Goldens in particular are very sociable animals- they love to be a part of the family, their pack, and I think it is down right cruel to keep one shut up in a shed/ garage / yard for hours on end with no one to interract with and nothing to do. When a dog kept like this developes behaviural problems and barks all the time/ chews destructivly/ bites some one the cry goes up "what a bad dog" when really it should be what a bad owner!
I know these views will be unpopular with some people, but I'm thinking about the dogs, not the humans!

·
Registered
122 Posts
goldencity said:
Reading all these posts from people who keep their dogs outside has me worriedI think it can be OK for a dog to be kept outside BUT there are important issues, such as the amount of time the dog spends alone, how stimulating the environment is for the dog, does it have enough shelter from sun/cold ect ect .

Even if you are sure your dog has all the above sorted out, WHY have a golden if you are worried about fur/ dirt? WHY have any dog at all if you dont want it to be a full part of your family?
Goldens in particular are very sociable animals- they love to be a part of the family, their pack, and I think it is down right cruel to keep one shut up in a shed/ garage / yard for hours on end with no one to interract with and nothing to do. When a dog kept like this developes behaviural problems and barks all the time/ chews destructivly/ bites some one the cry goes up "what a bad dog" when really it should be what a bad owner!
I know these views will be unpopular with some people, but I'm thinking about the dogs, not the humans!
Firstly the same question should be asked of those who have inside dogs and proceed to have that dog crated for hours. How fair is that???

Second those of us who have stated that our dogs are outside dogs have also mentioned how much time we actually spend outside with our dogs. I know Meg for one has NEVER been shut up in a shed/garage for hours, she has NEVER been tethered either, and if I am to be away for most of the day she goes on a play-date with her sister, who resides across the street. Meg is a valued member of my family and the fact that I choose to keep an area set aside for the health of my family does not automatically indicate that my dog is in any way neglected and will at any stage develop behavoural problems.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I can see this could become a heated debate. However I will never agree that it is OK to keep a dog outside (including garage) 24/7. Hunting dogs are no different.

All you have to do is look at the history of dogs and read about dog behaviours to know that dogs are a pack animal and do NOT like being alone. Also if you have more than one dog and they are outside, then the chances are they will bond together and you will not be the Alpha.

Does that make you cruel or negligent if you don't bring them inside? That is a matter of personal opinion.

However what is not opinion but fact is that indoor dogs who are with their pack are happier and better adjusted dogs. Does that mean outdoor dogs are automatically going to have behaviour problems? No. But the chances are much greater.

Outdoor dogs are also more likely to become territorial and bark, at greater risk from wildlife and other dogs (depending if fenced or just tied), if tied then getting hurt or worse by getting hung up (on another board I go to a young girl came home to her dog hanging dead from a fence he tried to jump while tied), humans with bad intentions, weather conditions, etc.

How does having a dog indoors affect the health of your family unless you are dealing with allergies or asthma?

Personally, why have a dog if you don't want it with you and your family? I agree with Goldencity.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Sorry, you do not know my family, therefore you do not understand the amount of time spent outside by the human members of this family, would it benefit Meg to be an inside dog when we spend, on average, 10 hours a day-7 day a week OUTSIDE??? She is at the end of the day-safe, contented, well loved, and extremely well behaved.

·
Registered
187 Posts
If you look at my post, meggiesmum, you'll see I said "left on their own for hours on end...".
Of course you and other caring owners can keep dogs outside well BUT in my opinion it is cruel to keep a dog fastened up in a small, boring enclosure indoors or out ON ITS OWN with no interaction with other pack members [family] and no stimulation. Dogs, and Goldens in particular, are very social animals they need contact with others in their pack. I t is wrong to keep one if you cant provide the company, training, space, time to look after it.
If you can do this, even if your dog lives outside, then my comments do not apply to you. If, on the other hand, "the cap fits..."

The reason for my original post were the comments made by Rachel earlier- [dont know how to make the quote thing work!] she said her dog was kept in the garage during the day while they were atwork and at night and that the dog was not allowed in the house as she has a thing about keeping her house clean!!!!!!!
How many hours is this dog shut in? 8 hours at night, another 8 to 10 during the day if everyone is at work. Even if it gets a long walk every day thats an awful long time to be in a garage!

·
Registered
414 Posts
You're right, I don't know your family, but from the sounds of it it sounds like Meg is happy. However it sounds like you are the exception, where as most people who keep their dog outside don't spend anywhere near that much time outdoors.

When giving advice or opinions, you have to go with the general rules and averages, and I stand by what I said.

Dogs are better off and happier inside with their family.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This is definately a very controversial topic. People have their own strong opinions on it. I think it is like the topic of allowing dogs to ride in the bed of pick up trucks. I usually know better and avoid voicing my opinion on either of these subjects because they usually just cause people to become defensive and then everybody is upset. I guess it would be a very dull place if every one thought alike. Note to self: Don't comment of hot topics. Karen

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
First, I do not agree with people tying there dog out in the yard. Get a fence. You wouldn't like having a rope around your neck and being hooked to a tree. I also don't like dogs being crated for hours at a time, or being shut up in the garage. Now, that's mean.

Well, if they weren't living here, outside, where would they be now? dead most likely. My golden was a stray, who had been shot twice by a farmer. I wonder how many people would have taken him in? None. This road is awful and dogs and cats get hit here. Sophie is from the humane society and she was there from 10/29-01/17 until I adopted her. Her time was probably almost up. I say living outdoors with daily exercise, food, water, play, and interaction is better than being dead, agreed?

I don't know who said it but my dogs do not stay alone for hours on end, therefore they are not neglected in anyway. It's not my fault they have to stay there. Also, I got my golden when I was 10, a 10 year old doesn't know that much about dogs, and being 10, I had NO choice where he stayed. I just wanted a dog, ever kid does the same thing.

My dogs are not neglected. I play and walk them every day. They love each others company as well. I also like to lay out now that's it's summer and they come up on the deck and visit. Everyone who knows me and my family knows how well cared fir they are. Making quick judgements is really idiotic when nobody knows me or my dogs.

Well, if they weren't living here, outside, where would they be now? dead most likely. My golden was a stray, who had been shot twice by a farmer. I wonder how many people would have taken him in? None. This road is awful and dogs and cats get hit here. Sophie is from the humane society and she was there from 10/29-01/17 until I adopted. Her time was probably almost up.

·
Old Guy
3,258 Posts
I strongly agree with everything timberwolfe has said thus far... but rather than re-iterate those comments, I'd like to add to them... "Out of sight, out of mind." is often the case with an 'outside' dog. Example: We could never possibly forget Sidney's dinner time... he won't let us! We talk to him all the time, just as another member of the family... you've got to, he's always in somebody's face. Its impossible to forget to groom him, exercise him, etc... we can't, he just keeps reminding us of these things.
I noticed a long time ago, that when a 'long time' pet dies some people get hit very hard by it (depressed for months) while others are only mildly saddened by the passing and are quickly over it. And those who aren't much affected by the lost of a pet can't seem to understand those who feel real grief at the loss of this animal. I believe I know why the difference in reaction to a death of a pet... its the caregivers who are always the hardest hit and it is especially during those times or situations where some interaction with the pet would have normally occurred... someone's at the door, dinnertime arrives, the daily walk, etc. Kinda hard to have those 'cues' when its only an 'outside' dog. To really fully experience the companionship of a pet you've got to actually live with them. The bottomline here is... its hard to have constant interaction with your dog if its outside all the time... that is of course, unless you live outside also, like eating and sleeping under the stars and all. I guess it all depends on your perspective of where a dog fits in the scheme of your life. To some people "a dog is just a dog" and to others "a dog is real family".

·
Registered
414 Posts
Heffanator, like I said earlier, the advice given here is based as a general rule, there are always exceptions. To live on the street or in your yard, well your yard is better. But in your house is better yet, but that was not your choice, it was your parents.

I don't think anyone here judged you. If you feel I did then I apologize.

It's like monomer mentioned, but this is not directed at anyone here, but it may apply, I don't know. To some people a dog is just a dog. My brother in law is like that. He can't understand why we spend so much time and effort on Clancy. He criticises me for it in fact. Do I care about his opinion? No. Because he doesn't understand the bond I have with Clancy and I don't expect him to. To him a dog is not to be seen or heard of and certainly not in the way.

1 - 20 of 173 Posts