Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I would like to adopt a golden retriever puppy and find this forum really helpful. I am educated with the knowledge about responsible breeders and the OFA certificate on the four core health requirements of breeding dogs. We could check the OFA certificate information from OFA website for the parents, but how do we know if the puppy is really from theses OFA certified dogs? Do the puppies have a birth documents similar to our human's birth certificate, with the information of his sire and dam? Thank you!

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
In theory if you are dealing with a breeder who is truthful you have no worries... AKC will penalize if one puts incorrect parentage on a litter registration application. Eventually someone on a litter who gets a CGC or the like will go for the AKC get DNA solicitation and if the parentage is incorrect, the litter's regs will be withdrawn if it is found to be incorrect. I just saw one of these recently, the pup's papers were reissued to a yellow bordered slip and this particular one says unknown for dam.

·
Esquire Golden Retrievers
4,201 Posts
A couple answers:

Yes, the puppy comes with its pedigree, so you can see who the parents, grandparents and great grandparents are. But that doesn't guarantee that the breeder didn't lie about parentage to the AKC. And the AKC does not require genetic profiles for every litter. Really, only of certain regularly used studs, when parentage is in doubt, or when the breeder creates a dual-sired litter.

In the end, you have to rely on the honesty of the breeder. That's one reason it's important to go to an ethical hobby breeder. And it's best to go to a breeder who has only one bitch in season at that time, so you know there is only one possible dam for the litter. And they usually have no reason to lie about who the stud is. Indeed, unless it's their own stud dog, the owner of any stud dog claimed would have something to say about whether it's a truthful claim or not.

Buy only from an ethical preservation breeder with a good reputation and you'll have no issues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In theory if you are dealing with a breeder who is truthful you have no worries... AKC will penalize if one puts incorrect parentage on a litter registration application. Eventually someone on a litter who gets a CGC or the like will go for the AKC get DNA solicitation and if the parentage is incorrect, the litter's regs will be withdrawn if it is found to be incorrect. I just saw one of these recently, the pup's papers were reissued to a yellow bordered slip and this particular one says unknown for dam.
Thanks Prism! I have read a lot your replies to other people and you are really helpful!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A couple answers:

Yes, the puppy comes with its pedigree, so you can see who the parents, grandparents and great grandparents are. But that doesn't guarantee that the breeder didn't lie about parentage to the AKC. And the AKC does not require genetic profiles for every litter. Really, only of certain regularly used studs, when parentage is in doubt, or when the breeder creates a dual-sired litter.

In the end, you have to rely on the honesty of the breeder. That's one reason it's important to go to an ethical hobby breeder. And it's best to go to a breeder who has only one bitch in season at that time, so you know there is only one possible dam for the litter. And they usually have no reason to lie about who the stud is. Indeed, unless it's their own stud dog, the owner of any stud dog claimed would have something to say about whether it's a truthful claim or not.

Buy only from an ethical preservation breeder with a good reputation and you'll have no issues.
Thanks DanaRuns! You gave a lot of goo advice to rookies like me, and I learnt a lot from your past posts. Really appreciate it!

·
Registered
305 Posts
I will echo what DanaRuns said above. Buy from an ethical, reputable preservation breeder and you shouldn't have any concerns.

As an admin for K9data, I have had many people reach out to me to ask me the appropriate way to correct their dog's pedigree in the database because they found out, one way or another, that the parents are not correct and they have worked with AKC to have the situation investigated and corrected (when possible). It's sad to see, but it happens a lot more than we hear about. I would like to hope that if one of my friends, all ethical breeders, had any inclination that a planned litter wasn't exactly what it was supposed to be, that they would have DNA done on the parents (if not already done) and every single one of the puppies. That is what should happen. But when you hear stories about puppy buyers going to pick up a puppy and there are just a lot of dogs running together in a pen, you just have to wonder, especially when all of those dogs are obviously not living inside where the owner is monitoring their bitches on a daily basis for being in season. Oops litters happen, but that shouldn't mean that the breeder just guesses and picks a male out of the pack.

Reactions: Prism Goldens
1 - 10 of 10 Posts