Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

How do I tell if my puppy is too skinny?

961 Views 16 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  paintedbison
She’s 7 months old and about 42 lbs. Several of her litter mates weigh about 15 lbs more than her. The breeder kept a puppy and his weighs close to the same, but hearing the higher weights on several others made me nervous.
Wood Dog breed Felidae Carnivore Fawn
Road surface Felidae Primate Carnivore Asphalt
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
2,806 Posts
I agree with Tagrenine. I think she looks nice and lean. Body condition is the best way to monitor. I think Murphy was just over 50lbs at 7 months but different pups grow at different rates. He'll be 20 months on Saturday and has been right at 70lbs since about 1yr.

· Registered
3,784 Posts
She looks fine. Keep an eye on her belly, that is the first place you will notice excess weight.

· Premium Member
2,754 Posts
Agree - she looks like a healthy adolescent to me. I think most Golden owners let their dogs get way too fat. Every time I bring my dogs into the vets they remark on how nice it is to see a lean Golden retriever! If you are going to err one way or another, better a bit too lean than a bit too heavy...

Reactions: paintedbison

· Lead Super Mod + Administrator
3,405 Posts
My Lily weighs 55 pounds. She has littermates that weigh close to 80 and they are not overweight.
Yea, but Lily and all her littermates are owned by competitors. You wouldn’t believe the amount of pet people that overfeed their puppies from the day they come home.

· Registered
847 Posts
Yea, but Lily and all her littermates are owned by competitors. You wouldn’t believe the amount of pet people that overfeed their puppies from the day they come home.
Jen manages a boarding kennel and is the groomer too, I am still amazed at all the fat dogs that she has come in there.. It is sad.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts