Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Archie is 14 weeks old and is doing well in his crate. The issue is that he is awake at 6am on the nose, every morning, just a hair too early for us... During the week, my fiancee has to get up at 6:30 and it would be really nice if we could get Archie to rest for that last half hour (or maybe a little longer on the weekends!). He whines loudly and barks a little, too. I know he has to potty when he starts to whine, so I feel bad making him wait at all. Should we leave him in there and expect him to wait until 6:30, or do we suck it up because its only a half hour and hope that it's just a phase? Any help would be greatly appreciated and will increase the chances that my fiancee and I don't divorce before we're married. Thanks!

·
2 goldens and a BMD
841 Posts
You could try taking him out a half an hour later at night and see if that helps. Right now, he's still a baby so I'd suck it up and take him out at 6. As he gets older, you should be able to push that back some. But since I've had dogs, I've never gotten to sleep past 8 (and that's a rarity). Good luck and enjoy your puppy, they don't stay small nearly long enough.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Oh do I remember that time...the day they sleep in longer than dawn is celebratory worthy!! Lily used to do the same thing to me...only she'd wake up at 5 where I needed to be up at 5:30am:doh:. The good news is it is only a phase that they actually grow out of relatively quickly. I don't remember how old she was exactly when she started sleeping until 8am, but I seem to think it was around 5 months...you're almost there! And it really is just a phase...Lily will now sleep in with us until 10am if we sleep that long! Hang in there!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Our 4 mo old pup is up everyday at 5am. This is my normal daily awakening anyway so it doesnt bother me. The one thing we noticed is that the coffee pot starts to perk at 5am. Our pup thinks somebody is awake and he wants to be part of the activity plus needs to go out so starts to get restless in his crate. We now call the coffee pot the "puppy alarm".

Is there something in your house that makes a noise everyday at 6am? You may want to investigate this and if so, maybe you can change it to 6:30? Otherwise, eventually your pup will be able to hold it longer as he gets older and most likely sleep until you get up anyway.

·
Gunner and Honey's Mom
5,628 Posts
Take your puppy outside then go back to bed. I did that with Gunner when he was little and it worked. He went back to sleep. Sometimes I would feed him too and with a full belly he gladly went back to sleep.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
... I don't remember how old she was exactly when she started sleeping until 8am, but I seem to think it was around 5 months...you're almost there! And it really is just a phase...Lily will now sleep in with us until 10am if we sleep that long! Hang in there!!!
Same here, Hank was around 5 months. Now he sleeps in until we get up.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
It really does get better as they get a little older. Mine had a 5am alarm set in their heads. I had to let them out but I stopped feeding them breakfast until at least 7:30 so they weren't getting me up for that reason. They were ok with that and around 5 or 6 mos old they started sleeping until we got up. Once in a while I get a cold nose nudging my hand to go out which is fine but we still don't eat right away.

·
New Dad
254 Posts
Ive lucked out on Honeys sleeping. She will let me rest in the morings and usually wakes up when I get up. Yesterday I slept in til 11 am and she slept too. She does not sleep in her crate all night. I leave the door open and she goes in and out. About 3 or 4 every night she likes to sleep with me on the bed. I dont mind at all and won't care when shes older either so why not.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We get a 5am wake up call every morning to go potty and the Pudge goes back to sleep until exactly 6:30. It is amazing how precise he is. It is like he is looking at the clock and when it strikes 5 he starts barking.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts